This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

question on the rear axle housing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

question on the rear axle housing

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi, well while restoring my first cub, I took the floor off and the seat, the other holes I'm guessing where the battery and tool box mounted were clogged, I happened to look down in those holes after I cleaned them out, I noticed debris on the bottom of the housing, I'm guessing a previous owner did a lot of mowing with the those screws out, now my question, is the housing supposed to be dry? or is there supposed to be lubrication in it?..... also if it needs to be cleaned out, how difficult would it be to disassemble to remove the housing, trying not to open a can of worms if I don't have to .... Thanks Bill
Attachments
KIMG2637(1).jpg
Bill Longeill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: question on the rear axle housing

Postby tst » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:41 pm

the housing is empty, the mice love to build nests inside, they crawl in through the brake band

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:44 pm

The housing should be dry. It is very easy to remove once you have the operator platform off. There are two dowel pins that align it to the transmission that sometimes are a bugger. Also don't forget to remove the bolts that secure it underneath. They are easy to miss if you aren't paying attention.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply
Bill Longeill

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi,
Here is more info for you.
There should be no oil at the brakes, or in the right side extension, under the seat.
If you have oil in those, or the brakes are soaked with oil, the seals are leaking. This can be caused by the transmission being overfilled with oil, or rain water or condensation inside the case.
If the transmission has water in it from from rain or condensation, that raises the oil level, and oil can run out of the seals, into where the brakes are.
You could remove the trans level plug and see if it is filled to there, it is on the left side of the trans, down low on the side.
If the oil is at the level of the level plug hole, then it is probably the seals are wornout. It is common for Cubs and Loboys to leak oil into the brake areas, the seals get wornout after years of use.
There are 4 oil seals in the rear, basically a seal on each side of the 2 brake drums, 2 in the trans case, and 2 in the final drive cases, that means 1 seal in each final drive case.
The brakes should be dry all the time, no oil there.
I've replaced the seals on several Cubs over the years.
If you need to take it apart, the brakes may need replacing too, if the lining is worn.
The transmission oil probably needs a change, if it hasn't been changed lately. The drain plug can be seen from under the platform, it's at the bottom of the trans.
You can see if clear water comes out with the oil, or if the oil is brown from water mixed with it. The filler plug is to the rear of the gear shift lever.
The trans oil should be changed periodically, like the owner's manual says, especially if it has not been changed in years.
It shows where the plugs are in the owner's manual.
Here are pics of where the seals are. The 1st is the seal in the trans case, taken by Dale Finch, and the 2nd pic is the seal in the final drive, near the brake drum, from TM Tractor. Click on the pics makes them bigger.
If you take off the final drives, do them one at a time, is better. Keep one rear wheel and tire on the tractor during the work. Cubs can tip over removing the final drives, they are heavier on the left.
Wedge the front axle before beginning the work. Make wedges like in the pic below, and drive them into place with a hammer. Check them some during the work to be sure they don't come loose or fall out.
I don't know what year your Cub is, the link is the whole 1949 owner's manual, there is a table of contents on page 1, and the lubrication guide is on page 18, it shows where the transmission oil plugs are. It's a good idea to read it, if you never have before.
There are also 2 final drive cases to check the oil in. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Attachments
Cub seal.jpg
Cub casting.jpg
Cub wedges 2.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”