Picked up a 1966 lo boy, intro and need help mounting a mower.

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallSteve
Zip Code: 00000

Picked up a 1966 lo boy, intro and need help mounting a mower.

Postby FarmallSteve » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Last night I picked up a 1966 Cub lo boy. I have always wanted a lo boy. They seem to be the ideal set up for mowing under trees. I have four acres with scattered trees.

A little back story. I am 45 y.o. I grew up on a cub. I think it was a 1954. My dad had ever imaginable implement for it; 42" mower was on it most of the time. He also had a turning plow, middle buster, cultivator, planter, disc, and front mount blade. Unfortunately, it wasn't a "Fast Hitch" model. My uncle had one of those that was sold either when he went to a nursing home or passed away, before we knew it.

I did get two other cubs from another uncle. One is red and the other yellow, not sure of year model.

In the mean time, my dad sold the original cub I grew up on, but had picked up four or five others (I lose count!) in the mean time. Since he was getting up there in years, and my brothers and I don't live close by, he had a cub for every implement. This saved from having to switch implements! Not what IH originally had in mind, but, hey, 60 years later, there are still plenty of these little work horses around! No belly mower, as he also picked up a lo boy 154, but it has been "retired" as he has grown tired of always working on the pto clutch. He is not able to garden any more, so he has an old snapper zero turn and recently bought a Hustler fastrack for mowing duties.

In there somewhere or the other were a couple of Super A's. Both with Woods L59 mowers. Pretty much identical, except that one had ag tires on back, the other turf. Sold the one with ag tires, still cutting grass with the other.

Dad's last project was combining the best parts of a farmall C and Super C to make one good tractor. Bad news is the Super C engine was rained in, frozen and cracked. Good news is sheet metal was near perfect and is has a fast hitch with A LOT of implements. Disc, turning plow, middle buster, cultivators, planter, shredder to name a few. I forget but he had to make two trips to haul it all home. I think he did OK at $200 (!). THe neighbor gave him the regular, "non super" C. THe tractor does have a water pump on it. I think this was only on Supers (?)

I am on the lookout for a Woods 306 mower (72", baby!) for it.

Back to my recent purchase. From the ad:

"Restoration about 95% complete. Has new front and rear tires/ tubes, radiator, battery box, instruments, all new electrical and ignition systems. New rings and rod bearings. Original 12V generator and carb rebuilt. Has live hydraulics. PTO. Runs smooth with good oil pressure, but has problems with fuel supply at higher rpm."

I gave the seller his $800 asking price. Turns out there was just trash in the gas.

I need to hammer out the front edge of the hood, and look into what is required to mount the "deluxe" seat which I believe would be more comfortable.

I am also looking into what is required to mount either of two mowers to the tractor. I have a woods 42 as well as the 59 off of the 154. I am thinking either one will require me to purchase mounting brackets. The 42 has brackets to fit one of the "regular" cubs. The 59 has all brackets for a 154.

I have used a cub with the 42 and it is great for mowing taller grass, as its single blade has more momentum, and is sized well for the cub. As stated above, I have a Super A with the 59. It is well matched to the Super A, as the extra width requires a little more power. I really have to watch trying to mow really tall weeds with it and usually make two passes if cutting johnson grass, etc.

I am sort of leaning toward trying to track down brackets to mount the 59 off the 154. I like having a wider mower, to save as much time on mowing. I don't have much thick turf grass, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue with the lower power level of the cub.

I need a set of brackets for either one, though... Decisions, decisions... :tractor:

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Picked up a 1966 lo boy, intro and need help mounting a mower.

Postby Urbish » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your decisions, but $800 for a Cub with lots of new parts sounds like a total steal! Pictures?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi and welcome,

Frankly you will have a much better time finding a complete mower to mount to the tractor, rather than just the brackets. You rarely ever see just the brackets for sale.

FarmallSteve

Postby FarmallSteve » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:08 am

Problem is, I haven't seen complete mowers for sale either! I have nearly completed the 5' mower install on the lo boy. It is not a woods mower. I forget the model number but it is a factory International mower. in the mean time, the miss has come back. I think it is a burnt valve ;( Photos soon! I promise. Unfortunately I had to "back burner" this project, as my Super A developed a miss as well. turns out it had several burn valves as well. I had to pull the head and have it redone with all new exhaust seats. All of the valves were good, though. But this brought about another issue. Two of the exhaust studs, one on each end, broke off even with head mounting surface when I pulled the manifold. I found them online, but a whole set of six, for $30. Part number FP24961 http://farmallparts.com/Bolt_Kit_Exhaus ... nor/p24961 The studs are 3/8", coarse thread on one end, fine on the other. DOes anyone have a source for a couple of these? I believe they are 2" long, but I will have to double check. I will be making a separate post on these. Not sure if they are the same as on a cub or not...

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:26 am

mowers are the easy part, it is the mule drive and mounting brackets that are different from a regular cub, they are not always easy to find for a loboy

ShawnAgne
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 45380
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub w/ 184 motor (Kid)
12V with Petronix
IH 3160 Mower Deck
54 Leveling Blade
193 Plow
IH528 Trailer
Farmall 300 (Clarence)
12V with Petronix
Woods L306 72"

Postby ShawnAgne » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:02 am

Unless someone is reading this thread that has a Cub that "Had" Lo-Boy mule drive on it and brackets on its 3160 mower. PM me with your email and I can send you pictures. As my low boy mule drive and two mounting brackets aren't being used.
Last edited by ShawnAgne on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Agne

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 am

tst wrote:mowers are the easy part, it is the mule drive and mounting brackets that are different from a regular cub, they are not always easy to find for a loboy
Agree with tst, I solved the problem with using a "mule drive" that mounts to the rear of the transmission. That leaves the brackets for mounting which are more easily fabricated. I have a drawing with dimensions for the drawbar brackets for a LoBoy. PM if you need it. Stan

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:33 am

Hi,
I think they have said before on this site that NAPA has studs of different sizes, you could tell them what it is and see if they have it. :)

Bud-in-PA
Zip Code: 15330
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Lo-boy (SN 1769 J), 1973 Massey Ferguson 165 Row Crop, 1989 Kubota L3250 TLB, 1947 Ferguson TE-20

Postby Bud-in-PA » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:56 am

If you are interested in doing some fabrication, these posts may help

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96446&p=761842#p761842
1955 Cub Lo-boy, 1973 Massey Ferguson 165 Row Crop,
1989 Kubota L3250 TLB, 1947 Ferguson TE-20