PTO shaft play

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brian R
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01463
Tractors Owned: 1953

PTO shaft play

Postby Brian R » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:35 pm

I am looking for some guidance. I noticed the PTO on my 53 cub has some play in it. The play is only vertical, no movement horizontal. The PTO works okay no problems but I am debating whether to replace the bearing to prevent any future problems. The tractor had a Woods mower on it for several years that I recently removed.

I have used this forum for years and almost never have to ask a question that hasn't already been addressed. thank you.

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO shaft play

Postby tst » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:31 pm

it only has a bearing in the rear and a bushing to support it in the front, the bushings get worn out as they are small, using it for mowing wears them out

Stevetractor
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 Farmall Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Best change them now. Have seen them worn so bad they wear through that front bushing wearing directly on inside of driveshaft. Will even wear end of pto shaft if left long enough.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:21 am

Hi,
I have found that the PTO will not come out unless I take out the bolt on the corner of the shifter that holds the PTO shifter guide, it is called in the parts book. The PTO lever has to go farther ahead so the shaft will come out of the PTO pilot bushing.
If the PTO shaft is original, it probably had staking to hold the PTO bearing on the shaft. This needs to be done so the shaft will not move to the rear when it is being used running the mower. Look closely and you can probably see the staking on the shaft. You should stake it again after you put the new bearing on.
Newer shafts have a snap ring at the bearing, the book says.
When you put it back together, the Cub service manual says to remove the transmission filler plug, and use a light to look in the hole, then you can fit the PTO shifter pin into the PTO clutch groove. It is easier being able to see it through the hole.
The new PTO oil seal, at the rear, is probably thinner than the original seal was.
I grease the assembly before putting it in the tractor, using the grease fitting, then I can see the grease come out by the bearing.
Here are pages from the Cub service manual if you want to read them.
Below that are pics from TM Tractor of the shafts. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 06A-07.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 06A-08.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/gss- ... 06A-09.jpg

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gpt ... om_001.htm

JohnMihevic
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:00 pm

tst wrote:it only has a bearing in the rear and a bushing to support it in the front, the bushings get worn out as they are small, using it for mowing wears them out

I don't understand why the busing would wear out faster if used for mowing. I have been mowing for years with my '48 Cub with C-3 mower and have replaced the bearing in the rear but have had no bushing problems. It seems to me that when mowing the bushing would get the least wear since the main drive shaft going through the transmission is "locked" to the PTO shaft and there is no shaft rotation in the bushing. I would think there would be more wear when the PTO is disengaged and the rear shaft is stationary and main shaft is turning the bushing---I'm confused.

John M.

Brian R
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01463
Tractors Owned: 1953

Postby Brian R » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you for the help, I have the assembly out and the shifter clutch seems quite loose and wobbly on the shaft. I am thinking that something here needs replacing?

Glen, it came out nice and easy once I removed the corner bolt.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi,
Glad you got it out of the tractor easily.
I think the PTO clutch would wobble on the shaft some, when it is out of the tractor. But shouldn't be a lot. Without being there, I don't know how loose it is. If the splines look good and not worn much, it is probably ok.
If you can post a video on here showing the movement that would be helpful. I don't know if you have posted videos before.
There should be a small setscrew in the hole in the PTO clutch, to keep the clutch from falling off the shaft. I think it tells about it in the manual pages I posted above. It has to be adjusted so the clutch can move freely on the shaft.
The pin on the shifter that goes into the groove in the clutch should be round, you could check that for wear too.
Here are pics from TM Tractor, that is a new clutch in the 2nd pic. :) :tractor:
Attachments
Cub PTO 4.jpg
Cub PTO clutch front.jpg
Cub PTO clutch front.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 619 times

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Once you get the set screw in the clutch adjusted properly, put some green threadlocker on it.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39