This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub water leak from front of the cylinder head

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Cub water leak from front of the cylinder head

Postby Ian D » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi - I have identified a small water leak on my Cub that I am restoring - any advice would be appreciated
Water is seeping out of the bottom hole that holds the air cleaner housing on the front of the head (2 x 5/16" bolts)

I thought at first the head gasket was leaking along the side but upon closer inspection the water is seeping along from the front

I have searched historical posts and it seems there could be various solutions, for example torquing the head again, putting sealant on the threads of the head bolts? but I rather suspect its more sinister?

Is this what I don't want to hear? cracked head? water leaking from the water jacket?

It ran fine before I stripped it to rebuild the tractor and it had no water leaks I was aware of so I am a bit puzzled?

Its strange because I put the antifreeze mix in (50/50) about 3 months ago - I didn't do anything with it until about 4 weeks then I started sorting the electrics out before starting it for the first time since rebuild (haven't started it yet)

For info: complete engine overhaul, new everything and head skimmed as a precaution

Regards
Ian
Attachments
Water leak.JPG
Water leak.JPG (32.47 KiB) Viewed 538 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub water leak from front of the cylinder head

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I would put sealant on the threads of the bolt in the bottom bolt hole. See what happens. Suspect the end of the bolt hole is cracked. Perhaps someone put the wrong length of bolt in the bolt hole.

Keep an eye on the #1 cylinder. I wouldn't take any drastic actions at this time.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ian D » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Cheers Eugene
I suspect its not good news, I made sure the same length bolts went back in - I have been very particular with everything - hence why its taken me 2 years to get to this stage! perhaps it was weeping before but the water was maybe being blown away by the fan and/or I didn't notice it leaking
Regards
Ian

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 pm

I have had the same problem, and it took me a while to figure it out. The bolt hole that is leaking water, in addition to the one above it are both drilled clear through to the hole for the center head bolt, which is where the leak is coming from. Drain coolant enough it is below the head and remove the front center head bolt and put pipe dope on the threads and put back in. Problem solved. Mine ran for 2 or 3 years after a rebuild before it started leaking. I had been using Copper Coat on the threads to seal them up until then, and after that I started using TFE pipe dope on the head bolt threads.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ian D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:40 am

Hi John
Ok this is encouraging news, both financially and work load wise, I will try this and leave the air cleaner off for now until I start it then I will see if its stopped leaking - the advice on here is absolutely invaluable - thank you so much
Regards
Ian

Ian D
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ian D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:48 am

John - tried to PM you but it wont go for some reason
Do I need to seal/put PTFE tape on all of the head bolt threads?
Or will sealing the front centre head bolt suffice?
I didn't put any sealant/tape on any of the head bolt threads during rebuild as I wasn't aware of the potential issues - perhaps I should of?
Should I have to seal/tape each bolt - I should be able to do this one-by-one I would say without needing a new head gasket?
Ian

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Ian D wrote:Should I have to seal/tape each bolt - I should be able to do this one-by-one I would say without needing a new head gasket?
Ian

Ian, I would seal all the head bolts if it were mine. You can do each one individually.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:29 pm

You need to put sealant on each head bolt threads. Reason, coolant tends to seep up the head bolt threads, leaking on to the top of the head.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:35 pm

You want to use the paste type PTFE, not tape.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall Cub”