This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snows finally on its way!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snows finally on its way!

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Forecast is for a foot here, tomorrow. The older I get, the less I enjoy winter seat time!
Ed

You could take a break and come to DSCF.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

getting hammered here also, they now claim 18" for me, snow is one thing but the wind is real bad, it is an effort to stay stand up straight, had a lighting storm with the snow during the night, that was pretty wild back drop in the snow coming down

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:21 am

tst wrote:getting hammered here also, they now claim 18" for me, snow is one thing but the wind is real bad, it is an effort to stay stand up straight, had a lighting storm with the snow during the night, that was pretty wild back drop in the snow coming down

We had that storm last night as well but only rain here. It was 68 yesterday and 44 today with bad winds.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 am

You are being put on notice: if you NORTHERNERS keep praying for snow so you can play with your cubs in the snow, we SOUTHERNERS are going to take your tractors with plows away, and hand you snow shovels!!! Not everyone wants that white stuff!!
:big crying:

If nothing else, at least keep it up north!! :lol:
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Farmallacres-NJ (retired)
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32909
eBay ID: Farmallacres
Tractors Owned: Now -
Cub Cadet Z44
New Holland TC33D HST SS
==============
Then -
1955 400 T/A WF 13/38s
1936 F20 road gear, round spokes, 13.6 goodyear Dyna Torque, smooth cambered fronts, winterfront, original dual fuel manifold.
F14, F20 w/trip loader, I-130 Ind. duals, 3 point, F100, A/V, A, BN, H - True- tricycle
Cubs – too many to remember, maybe 25 ?
Auburn Trencher – Howard RotoVators F/H and mounted w/de-speeders, Hi-Clear 30/15 w/ all NOS tires, Sims cabs, Duals, Sunflower Rotary and front and center mounted Gang Reel sets, Mott Flail F/H and Mounted, Woods, IH mowers, graders F/H and mounted, Sod cutter for culti, F/H Carry-all, Heathouser, ….Most tools and options. Maximum enjoyment.

Postby Farmallacres-NJ (retired) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:51 am

Crazy weather you got there LT. Mike. 65 yesterday and 18 tonite. :oops:

Have fun playing in the white stuff. :-:-):
Your tires will be 'nice and clean' :D

Be well !

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:02 am

ricky racer wrote:My snow blade is getting rusty from lack of use.... :(

Same here. Lame winter.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:05 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
I hope you are recovering, and feeling better, Mike. :)

Thanks, getting better by the day. That hospital stay kicked my butt. Lost 30lbs my first week in. (Let's see nutri-system do that!).
Taking awhile to get my strength back.
Timbers I could throw around five weeks ago I can't budge now. In fact Monday I picked up two 6x6x8'ers at Home Depot and was having trouble loading them onto the cart. A fellow about 30 years my senior saw me struggling and did it for me. :oops: that was humbling.
So Yesterday after that experience I was hell bent to mount the weights myself. I did it, bout killed me but I did it. Got to get back to the old me.
But Dale, that doesn't include shoveling snow. The old me drew the line there too. :wink:
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 am

Farmallacres-NJ (retired) wrote:Crazy weather you got there LT. Mike. 65 yesterday and 18 tonite. :oops:

Have fun playing in the white stuff. :-:-):
Your tires will be 'nice and clean' :D

Be well !

I'm counting on it. The tires are still stained from grading out a clay base for a carport I ordered 5 months ago. :x
This snowfall will undoubtedly stretch out the delivery date even further. :roll:
Mike

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:22 am

Dale Finch wrote:You are being put on notice: if you NORTHERNERS keep praying for snow so you can play with your cubs in the snow, we SOUTHERNERS are going to take your tractors with plows away, and hand you snow shovels!!! Not everyone wants that white stuff!!
:big crying:

If nothing else, at least keep it up north!! :lol:

Gave up on Snow Praying...It didn't work last year and not too much the year before. This year I went for a strong strain of Voo Doo: Paid up for the season for cross-country skiing, bought extra wax for the skis and sat tight. So far: 4 days of skiing, 2 shots of Cub-antics plowing snow, and ... now! ... about 14" forecast for us. Time to wax up yet again those skis, get out those snowshoes, and set up the Cub (warm up the oil pan, warm up the engine block via water heater), push shut the gate to keep the sheep in the barn & away from sliding avalanches coming off the roof. And so it is Winter Wonderland outside.

For the record: When I grew up in southern Florida, I fervently prayed for snow, even asked an aunt in the north to send me some for Christmas in a parcel, but of course it didn't work out. Finally, become a "reverse snow bird" I found my Winter Wonderland. I did start out with a snow shovel. It was great fun!! For awhile. Next came the snow blower which was great for blowing snow--splat!--in my face when the wind spun around. Now the Cub...Best Buddy For Sure.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Lt.Mike wrote:........ but while everyone else is dreading the 8-10" snow prediction I'm actually kinda excited.
So...bring it on!
:{_}:
Mike
I have had a gal bladder fail, so understand part of what you went through, and glad you are doing better. I am different than you, I have seen enough snow and so tired I no longer look forward to a snow. I used to look forward to a big snow as a fun challenge, now it is just a pain.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 pm

No longer look forward to snow.

When I was a kid in Iowa, looked forward to snow fall. School closed. Had shovel, scooped sidewalks, made big bucks. $1- per sidewalk for less than a foot of snow. $5- per sidewalk for anything over a foot of snow. Could make $15- or $20- before lunch.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Here is what its looking like in NY
Attachments
IMG_4094.JPG

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Snow, snow, go away,
Don't come again some other day!
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:02 pm

We got what looks to be 3 or 4 inches of something WHITE on the ground yesterday , and wind chill right now -2 , so this has me housebound, ---AGAIN!!! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:03 am

Ok, 8-10" didn't happen but we did get a modest 3-4", enough to test the tractor.
Covers off, ready to go.

Heres a clip of the first run down the driveway. With only 3-4" I was able to make long runs instead of taking bites pushing it off to the side.
https://youtu.be/xWiexEhcmFM
Sorry for the crummy cell phone video. Thats the first cell phone video I tried to download to you tube and the quality suffered. :roll:

I'm pretty happy with the traction and how easily the tractor handled the weight of the wet snow pushing large blocks off to the side without bogging.
Granted this was a light snow fall but it shames my JD garden tractor w/snowplow and beats the hell out of using the snow blower or shoveling (shoveling isn't an option).
This isn't me (its a borrowed pic) but this is what I started with back when I first bought this house. Even with weights and chains it gets no traction once a little snow builds in front of the plow and really feels like its being abused with more than 2" snow to plow. If you have one of these you'd better plan on plowing every hour during a snowstorm if you want to keep up.
The Cub has it all over the JD for this kind of task. No comparison.

Once I finished my drive I went next door to do my neighbors drive. He has an F350 diesel plow truck but he's the kind of guy that was out clearing the church lot and everyone elses driveways before he finally gets home to clear his own. Figured it be nice for him to see as he was looking out for others someone looked out for him. :wink:
Mike.

Return to “Farmall Cub”