This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loose Transmission Shaft- Front Bearing?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jes009
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24401
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub w/grader blade and 42" belly mower
1964 International Cub Lo-Boy

Loose Transmission Shaft- Front Bearing?

Postby jes009 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi All- I'm fairly new to this group, but it has been a great resource! I am replacing the clutch on my 1949 Cub and noticed a good amount of play (probably an inch) in the transmission shaft. There is also a small amount of oil leaking that was in the "clutch peep hole" area. I am thinking that possibly the front transmission bearing is worn and allowing too much play in the shaft. So...

1. Should this shaft have any play in it?
2. If it is the front bearing, can it be removed and replaced without tearning down the tractor to the transmission?
3. Other thoughts of what it could be?

There has been a whine in the transmission since i have had the tractor.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jason

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Loose Transmission Shaft- Front Bearing?

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:21 pm

Is the play sideways or front to back? The bearings should prevent play sideways. However, the shaft is long enough and slender enough that a slightly worn bearing combined with a little flex of the shaft can make it seem worse than it is. An inch at the end of the shaft doesn't seem like a lot. On the other hand, an inch front to back is way beyond reason. The front transmission bearing and front seal retainer should prevent that. Doing anything with the front bearing or seal requires splitting the tractor at the rear of the bell housing. Check out this thread for details.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=90327

Some whine in the one or more gears is not unusual or cause for much concern. A bad bearing would make it worse.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Loose Transmission Shaft- Front Bearing?

Postby Glen » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi,
You have to split the tractor at the front of the transmission to take the long clutch shaft out. You can split it in the middle first, you said you are replacing the clutch.
The transmission front ball bearing comes out with the long clutch shaft. It is tight on the shaft usually. There should be a lock ring next to the bearing. The parts book pic is below.
There is a rear bearing also. The rear bearing on the top shaft has to be removed from the rear, as far as I know. The rear bearing is in the transmission case. Here are pics from TM Tractor. The pic is from the rear, after removing the PTO.
While you have the clutch shaft out, you should check or replace the PTO pilot bushing in the rear of the shaft. Check the PTO shaft where it goes in the PTO pilot bushing to be sure it is smooth.
Sometimes people repairing Cubs put the front seal retainer on backwards, then the oil seal is facing the wrong way, and it will leak oil.
The retainer being on backwards also would let the shaft move endways some too. This usually makes the PTO not work right because the clutch shaft moves forward, and the PTO won't stay engaged.
Be sure to put it together with the bulged side of the trans front seal retainer facing into the trans, so it holds the front bearing into the case. Then the seal lip is facing towards the trans.
Here are listings and pics at TM Tractor. They have the trans bearings, and gaskets too. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 007-08.jpg

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/752fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/tr/431fp.htm
Attachments
Cub trans 9.jpg
Cub trans shaft 4.jpg
Cub trans shaft 5.jpg

Return to “Farmall Cub”