Pan Leaks

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Pan Leaks

Postby The Riot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi All,
Does anybody have any creative ideas on correcting Cub Oil Pan gasket leaks. I installed a brand new cork gasket with Permatex Sealant and it is leaking. I tried tightening some bolts but that doesn't seem to help, it looks like the pan has some warping.
I'm definitely going to try to straighten the pan flange as much as possible, but I'm also thinking of trying to make a new gasket out of rubber if I can find some stock.
Any thoughts ideas ???

Thanks,
The Riot

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pan Leaks

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Straighten out the pan lip, then use RTV instead of a cork gasket.

Edit: Color of RTV was deleted.
Last edited by Eugene on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Someone posted that the later style pan construction included a reinforcing flatbar for the flange to prevent the bolts from "bowing" up when overtightened. If yours does not have this feature, you might could find one or retrofit yours to provide this same extra thickness. Just use slightly longer bolts to make up the difference.

Stevetractor
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 Farmall Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Are you sure it's the pan? A small leak from the rear main oil seal will find its way around the bottom of the block and sure make it look like the pan gasket. Had one that was always wet even after a complete rebuild. Finally got mad split tractor and had seal holder machined out and sleeved for a new seal, all is well now. Not only was hole too large for the replacement seal it was out of round and warped. I always use gaskets from TM coated on both sides with permatex aviation sealant and get no leaks. Try to use a block of wood and a hammer to get pan as true as possible. You can pick up the high spots by rubbing over the pan with a large file. I have NO luck with silicone lol

The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am

Hello Eugene,
I'm sure it's pretty simple but RTV has me stumped right now, what does it stand for?

StaninlowerAL,
I have the reinforcing flatbar and believe either I or someone before me overtightened, will straighten as well as possible and use the aviation permatex at reassemble.

Stevetractor,
You are probably correct. I now have the tractor split and plan to send the Retainer to tst for machining and a new seal. It looked like when I opened her up that there was leakage between the ID of the retainer and the OD of the seal, typical. This is a new seal I put in very recently, the tractor just went through a complete restoration, currently at about 90% complete, looks great, but couldn't stand having it leaking. I'm pretty sure that the Pan is leaking as well, so will straighten the flange out as well as possible and reassemble with the Aviation Prematex and the RTV gasket as Eugene recommends.

Thank you, Gents !

The Riot

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 am

The Riot wrote:Hello Eugene,
I'm sure it's pretty simple but RTV has me stumped right now, what does it stand for?
Room Temperature Vinyl.

Comes in a tube. You can purchase it from your local auto parts store. There is quite an assortment of products, suitable for different uses.

I keep a tube or two of different purpose RTV on hand. I use it frequently. In many cases it's less expensive than purchasing a single gasket or ordering a gasket - - or the expense of driving to town to pick up a gasket. Does an excellent job. Compensates for uneven parts surfaces. If you need to remove the part the old RTV peels off, easy clean up.

The main thing when using RTV is to make sure the mating surfaces of the parts are clean. After scraping off old gasket material, I spray off the mating parts with brake cleaner to remove residual oil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am

The Riot wrote:I'm sure it's pretty simple but RTV has me stumped right now, what does it stand for?

RTV = Room Temperature Vulcanizing. Commonly available as silicone gasket-maker sold in small tubes.

Stevetractor
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 Farmall Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:43 pm

New seal in repaired retainer + new pan and retainer gasket+aviation sealant = no leaks. Your right though can't stand oil leaks. Lol. The 68 I'm working on now could have competed with the Exxon Valdez :censored: l

The Riot
5+ Years
5+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks all. I'll post results once I get my retainer back and get her back together with new gaskets and fresh sealant, either aviation permatex or RTV.
#NO LEAKS..............

Regards,
The Riot