This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Left in Barn- 20+ Years

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SwampGeorge
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 23323
Tractors Owned: 1949 IH Farmall Cub

Re: Left in Barn- 20+ Years

Postby SwampGeorge » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:13 am

Mike in Louisiana wrote:Check the members list and the locations of cub fest in your area.

Thanks for all your help. I'm going back to work on the old girl right now!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28479
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Clip » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 am

Killswitch is out to run, in to stop. I worked on a 49 for weeks fighting a no-start condition. Spark tested ok when I grounded to the head but once installed it would not fire. I think a very weak coil was allowing me to see a spark that wasn't strong enough to properly ignite when needed.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 am

If your ignition system was changed from magneto to battery ignition most likely the switch was changed at the same time as the mag kill switch will not work with the battery system. Either get a spark tester (cheap at Harbor Freight) or do as suggested and ground a sparkplug to the tractor and check for spark while the engine is cranking over. Do this with the switch in both positions to eliminate that issue.
The first thing I would do is remove the cap and rotor and clean the points. They are probably glazed over from setting for 20 years.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 am

A little oil in the spark plug hole may be needed too. Otherwise until you get oil to the piston you are running it dry.

SwampGeorge
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SwampGeorge » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks, yes after hours of cleaning and removing the hood and spark plugs, that was the first thing I did.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi,
If the engine hasn't been run in several years, you should prime the oil pump, they sometimes lose their prime and won't suck the oil up from the oil pan. Then there is no oil pressure when the engine is running.
Here is a picture of where the hole is that I use for priming the oil pump. Just remove the oil filter top, and oil filter, and it is easy to see, use a light if you need to.
I fill a clean oil can with motor oil, and pump it into the hole, you might need more than one filling of the oil can to fill the passages in the engine.
Watch the oil gauge after starting, it takes 15 - 30 seconds for the gauge to show pressure, it has to fill the oil filter housing before the gauge will show pressure.
If the ignition has poor or no spark, the points might need filing from sitting for years.
I take them out and hold each one, one at a time, on a solid surface, and file the point flat with a large file. The point surface is usually hard. If they are burned much, you should put in new ones.
The condenser can quit from sitting too, then it won't run either.
Here is a listing for new ones at TM Tractor, you can look at. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm
Attachments
Cub oil filter.jpg

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 pm

SwampGeorge wrote:
staninlowerAL wrote:Your best bet for help is the 11th HOG WALLER CUBFEST the first weekend of May at Randolph VA, 23962. Go to the CUBFEST calendar page and you will find lots of information. There will be more knowledge available there than you can absorb. If you can take your CUB, you will come away with most of not all your problems resolved. IT'S FREE!!! Contact BOSS HOG, aka David, his contact information in in the post announcing the event. Good luck. :hattip:
EDIT: Looks like about a 3 hour trip for you, it's about 50 miles WNW from South Hill.

Thanks I wound love to show up with this tractor running. Wish me luck...

Oh no no no!
Show up with it issues and all and learn hands on from some of the best! Boss is an old school genius that has probably forgotten more about these tractors than the rest of us will ever know!
:worthy:
My wife and I are waiting to see on a few things but are hoping to make it again this year .
(7 hr ride for us)
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SwampGeorge
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SwampGeorge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Glen wrote:Hi,
If the engine hasn't been run in several years, you should prime the oil pump, they sometimes lose their prime and won't suck the oil up from the oil pan. Then there is no oil pressure when the engine is running.
Here is a picture of where the hole is that I use for priming the oil pump. Just remove the oil filter top, and oil filter, and it is easy to see, use a light if you need to.
I fill a clean oil can with motor oil, and pump it into the hole, you might need more than one filling of the oil can to fill the passages in the engine.
Watch the oil gauge after starting, it takes 15 - 30 seconds for the gauge to show pressure, it has to fill the oil filter housing before the gauge will show pressure.
If the ignition has poor or no spark, the points might need filing from sitting for years.
I take them out and hold each one, one at a time, on a solid surface, and file the point flat with a large file. The point surface is usually hard. If they are burned much, you should put in new ones.
The condenser can quit from sitting too, then it won't run either.
Here is a listing for new ones at TM Tractor, you can look at. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

Thanks for all your help, I primed the pump and she is RUNNING! First time in a very long time. She purrs like a kitten!

SwampGeorge
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SwampGeorge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:42 pm

offrink wrote:A little oil in the spark plug hole may be needed too. Otherwise until you get oil to the piston you are running it dry.

Thanks for all your help, I primed the pump and she is RUNNING! First time in a very long time. She purrs like a kitten!

SwampGeorge
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SwampGeorge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Bigdog wrote:If your ignition system was changed from magneto to battery ignition most likely the switch was changed at the same time as the mag kill switch will not work with the battery system. Either get a spark tester (cheap at Harbor Freight) or do as suggested and ground a sparkplug to the tractor and check for spark while the engine is cranking over. Do this with the switch in both positions to eliminate that issue.
The first thing I would do is remove the cap and rotor and clean the points. They are probably glazed over from setting for 20 years.

SwampGeorge
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby SwampGeorge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for all your help, I primed the pump this morning and she is RUNNING! First time in a very long time. She purrs like a kitten! This Web-Site is great I could not have done it without the help of the people involved with this club. I hope to meet some of you in Randolph Va this summer. Again Thanks To All! I'm named her "May".

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:30 am

swampgeorge , run while you still can , but i got a feeling you are now hooked :lol: ! man , when that first cub starts up and runs so sweet , it is a rush . that excitement does not go away . start building a bigger shed , buy some more tools , and get a nice big trailer for hauling all the other cubs in your future :shock: . :lol: . bosses cubfest is a good one and very close . a 12-14 hour ride to ANY cubfest is worth every hour . coppersmythe ........................ps good food , good folks , and lots of free info/help . to give you an idea of what kind of people are at a cub fest , a few years back , a gentleman was unloading his cub at bigdogs tug , his tractor slipped off the ramps and rolled , banging it up pretty good . he went to the hospital and thank god he was not hurt too bad . while he was away , those guys at the fest took his cub , folks donated the needed parts , and had it good as new when the gentleman got back to the cubfest . it was quite an emotional moment . thats what kind of folks you will meet at a cubfest !

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 am

coppersmythe wrote:swampgeorge , run while you still can , but i got a feeling you are now hooked :lol: ! man , when that first cub starts up and runs so sweet , it is a rush . that excitement does not go away . start building a bigger shed , buy some more tools , and get a nice big trailer for hauling all the other cubs in your future :shock: . :lol: . bosses cubfest is a good one and very close . a 12-14 hour ride to ANY cubfest is worth every hour . coppersmythe ........................ps good food , good folks , and lots of free info/help . to give you an idea of what kind of people are at a cub fest , a few years back , a gentleman was unloading his cub at bigdogs tug , his tractor slipped off the ramps and rolled , banging it up pretty good . he went to the hospital and thank god he was not hurt too bad . while he was away , those guys at the fest took his cub , folks donated the needed parts , and had it good as new when the gentleman got back to the cubfest . it was quite an emotional moment . thats what kind of folks you will meet at a cubfest !

This is the first I've heard this story and it doesn't surprise me.
Good people here.
It's a mindset, I'm sure there was no decision to be made, it needed to be done.
Yep, that's what good folks do.
My neighbor passed away this winter, an exceptional man. This weekend his widow, selling the house held an estate sale. After the first days sale someone robbed the house yesterday morning. I've been dwelling on the rotten state of humanity since.
I think I needed to be reminded that there are plenty of decent people still to be found.
:thanx:
Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:19 am

Check the steering linkage and toe-in because that front wheel looks like it is turned wayyy too far in that picture. Real good lookin tractor. I don't think I've seen one look so good (especially with a seat cover) after it came out of hibernation in a barn for 20 years. He must have had it in a concrete floor, fully enclosed barn, covered up with a sheet. haha
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”