This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Axle Housing Leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scomcgr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60560

Rear Axle Housing Leak

Postby Scomcgr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm

So, I am a newer cub owner. A year ago, I removed the oil pans under the rear axle, cleaned up the connecting surface areas, replaced the gaskets, put permatex above and below it, and reassembled them, and filled them with gear lube. It developed seeps/leaks after a month or so. After barely using it over the season, here I am a year later with two leaking rear axles. My question is this, do these areas notoriously leak on a cub? Is this a normal problem that I just need to get over? Someone suggested I remove the gasket and just put in permatex. However if this is a normal issue, I think I will just leave it and top it off from time to time. Opinions observations or suggestions? Thank you.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Sailor
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 42261
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
Ser.# 16812
1938 Farmall F-14
Ser# 131806
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear Axle Housing Leak

Postby Sailor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Scomcgr wrote: A year ago, I removed the oil pans under the rear axle, cleaned up the connecting surface areas, replaced the gaskets, put permatex above and below it, and reassembled them, and filled them with gear lube. It developed seeps/leaks after a month or so. After barely using it over the season, here I am a year later with two leaking rear axles. Opinions observations or suggestions? Thank you.

I think you are talking about the pans under the finials, right?
These do not leak "as a general rule". They leak because there isn't a good seal between the two parts. Take the pans off and have a look at them where the bolts go threw. A lot of times these holes will become misshapen because the bolts have been overtighten at some time. Take a hammer/big punch and make sure this area of the pans is good and flat.

Check your service manual for torque values of these bolts... 20 lbs I think but don't quote me on this figure. If you haven't done so already, both the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual can be downloaded form this site for free. Good luck.
1948 Cub
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grading Blade
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cub-189 Moldboard Plow (direct-Connected, One Bottom, Two-way)
Woods 59 Mower

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Are you sure the leak is from the pan gaskets? A leaky axle seal can let oil run down to the pan looking like a pan leak.

Also, filling the housings clear to the filler plug (as spec'ed in the manual) leaves oil constantly against the gaskets. Leaving the level low (just below the gaskets) reduces leakage and still has enough oil so the bull gear will circulate it. You can use a piece of wire as a dip stick to check the level.

Scomcgr
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60560

Postby Scomcgr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Great questions. Correct, the pans themselves do not leak. The leak is definitely coming from the area of the gasket/permatex. In otherwords, the space between the bottom of the rear axle and the pan. I am not sure if it is also coming from the axle itself. I am glad to know that filling below the filler plug and leaving it below the line is an option. I went by the book when I filled it. Thanks guys.

Return to “Farmall Cub”