Can governor spring rockshaft arm be removed without removing governor?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Can governor spring rockshaft arm be removed without removing governor?

Postby kjoiner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Hello,

So I was having some high idle issues on my 1949 Cub and as I investigated the issue I found a problem. At some point in the Cub's life, someone decided it was a good idea to tack weld the rockshaft extension shaft (item 30 in manual GSS-1411), to the spring arm (item 8). At first I thought the issue might have been the key was lost, but it's still there on the shaft with weld on it. Maybe the spring arm cracked or split but either way I've got a problem.

Can I remove the spring arm without having to remove the entire spring arm assembly which would also require removing the governor? What holds the spring arm on its shaft. Is there a cross pin? I'll see if I can post some pictures.

Thanks!

Kyle

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Can governor spring rockshaft arm be removed without removing governor?

Postby kjoiner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello,

Here are some pictures:

Kyle

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Let me try this for pictures:

Kyle

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi! I recently posted this about the same part, and maybe it will help you:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95454&hilit=governor+rockshaft

Good luck!

Note: I had a distinct advantage...this engine I was working on was OFF the tractor so access was REALLY easy! :D

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi Dale,

I saw your post and it does appear to be possible to remove the arm. Did your roll pin work out? My thought was to use a roll pin as well.

It appears the spring arm on my Cub must have cracked/split and someone welded the shaft to the arm. The weld broke and that's when I noticed the slop in the arm that was preventing my Cub from idling down properly.

I may have to remove the tank to get to the top of the pin. And it looks like I may need to find a replacement spring arm.

Kyle

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:19 pm

Think you could clean the arm real well (thinner, carb cleaner?) then reassemble with a new key and JB Weld on the carb side of the arm? Sure would be easier. My arm was missing the pin, so the arm was rotating and just slid off. I was actually lucky in that I didn't have to try to drive the pin out!

And I haven't installed the engine on the tractor yet, but the pin was a nice snug fit, so I believe it will be fine. (Knock on wood!!!)

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi Dale,

Beleive it or not, I was able to get the pin out without a whole lot of trouble. I could see the pin from the governor side and was able to use a small drift punch and small hammer to tap out. It came out much easier than I expected and probably a lot easier than it should. The pin is a grooved pin. I also think I know why they welded the shaft to the arm. It looks like the arm cracked right at the keyway and welding it was a quick bush fix.

So I've got a couple of choices - purchase another spring arm or weld up the broken section of the arm, rebore it and broach a new keyway. It may make more sense to purchase some replacement parts and get the tractor running again.

Kyle

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:26 pm

It has been awhile since I had one apart, but I believe the end of the cross shaft is worn. I seem to remember it being straight, not stepped at the end.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi John,

That's an interesting observation about it being worn. I'll look around for some pictures to compare mine to. I just finished grinding off the weld and was able to remove the woodruff key. My shaft also appears to be a little different than the picture in the manual. In the manual, the shaft is held on with a snap ring. On mine, there is a collar that is cross pinned with a grooved pin to keep the shaft from sliding out of the bracket. There is also a washer next the arm (the one that attaches to the carburetor linkage).The shaft also wobbles around in the bracket. Is that normal or is the bracket worn? One option would be to ream out the bracket hole and put in an oilite bushing. Just a thought.

Kyle

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:49 pm

I looked up the part #30 (the extension shaft) mentioned in the first post. I thought that in addition to the definitely worn key, the shaft was worn with a resulting "step" (last 1/2" or so has a smaller diameter). Although the parts catalog is only a sketch, it does look like there is supposed to be one. Can someone confirm this?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi,
Someone probably tried welding the parts because the keyway was worn and the shaft was loose in the hole the shaft fits into, my opinion, a guess. I would replace the part with the hole.
JP Tractor Salvage at the bottom of the page might have them.

Here are pics at TM Tractor, there were 2 different throttle linkages.
The newer one is made with the step at the end of the shaft. It has the ring at the left end holding the shaft in position. The Cub parts manual says the ring was used on engine serial number 179959 and above, so that is probably when they changed the assembly.

Yes, if the hole in the bracket is worn much, you could put a bushing in it, the looseness wastes the movement of the governor. We have done it before. You might have to file a little in the bushing after you put the bushing in.
When it is assembled on the engine, the shaft and bracket were not perfectly aligned on the one we did, so the bushing was tight. It has to be free moving when assembled. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/ggv ... n1_001.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/ggv ... n2_001.htm

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Hello,

I was able to order a new spring arm and rock shaft from DE Farmall Cubs and they worked great. The Cub is idling nice and low now. The hardest part was getting the spring hooked up in the tight space with the belts in the way.

Kyle

liquid plumber
Zip Code: 55014

Postby liquid plumber » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:53 pm

having governor issues myself.
After removal and cleaning, tried to re install and broke top ear of mag housing.
stupid me, I KNEW the pins wernt in proper spots but was in a hurry.
How is the unit RE-Installed on tractor properly? my bet is there is only one way to get ir right Any Help ? :help:

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi,
You didn't say what year the Cub is.
Below is a page from the 1950 Cub owner's manual showing how to install and time a magneto.
Yes, the drive pins have to be in the slots of the governor gear.
I guess you probably had to buy another magneto, you didn't say.

You have to turn the engine to number 1 cylinder, top dead center first, it tells how in the manual.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2032.jpg

These 2 pages have the illustrations referred to in the page above.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2031.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2030.jpg

Below is the whole 1950 Cub owner's manual, the experts on here say people should read it, if you never have. It has lots of info about operation, maintenance, and lubrication.
There is an index on page 1.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

There are owner's manuals for other years of Cubs on here, if yours is older or newer. :)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:29 pm

liquid plumber wrote:. . . broke top ear of mag housing.

Not sure, is the broken part the mounting flange of the magneto? Item 26 on this page? If so, I can we can do some trading. Bring the mag over and we can swap in a flange from my parts unit.