This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Valve/block issue - update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Valve/block issue - update

Postby ricky racer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:18 pm

As i said earlier, there is nothing wrong with the block. Its run for the last 50-60 years with the casting the way it is. Since you've got it part, measure all components for wear, freashen up as needed and give it a good tune up including valve adjustment and put her to work.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:43 pm

I was able to compare it to another engine my BIL has torn down for rebuild...it looks the same. Sorry I panicked. Looking for a reason it would not run under load and found an issue where there was none. So now that I have it torn down it will get a rebuild as well. Should make the machine shop very happy to see two C60 engines come in at once...maybe not ;)

Chipmaker, I wish you were my neighbor.

Thanks guys for all the comments.
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi,
To comment about your first post, I guess you have taken the engine apart, but could the noise you heard when the mower was running have been the engine pinging, or knocking from the load.
A rotary mower is usually somewhat of a load for a Cub to run. The ignition timing needs setting with a timing light, if it's a Battery Ignition unit. If it's too far advanced, it will probably ping from the load.
I don't know how the valves could make any noise from the mower being on, nothing changes in the valve train when the mower is on. :)

Drfting1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24151
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub
59 cub

Postby Drfting1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 am

seen this was pretty much resolved, but just wanted to share I have the same on my 53
Attachments
KIMG2687-816x459.jpg
KIMG2688-816x459.jpg
Bill Longeill

DDean
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53566
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby DDean » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:12 am

I don't know how far you are in tare down, but I would slip all valves back into the guides and wiggle side to side. (Hopefully you numbered the valves 1 - 8 ) I bet you have a lot of valve guide play. Would make sense on excessive blow by and getting hotter under load. When engine goes under load, the valve may not be seating correctly then on power stroke your exhaust gas is blowing passed exhaust valve into crankcase causing excessive blow by. Possibly some burnt exhaust valves on the stems? Just another simple check.

Return to “Farmall Cub”