'51 Cub - several problems

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
macec3(TX)
Zip Code: 75681
Tractors Owned: 2 Ford 5610 tractors
51 Farmall Cub

'51 Cub - several problems

Postby macec3(TX) » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:03 pm

51 cub - hydraulics would not move. Checked hydraulic oil and there was none or it was very low. Added hy-tran hydraulic oil. Now cultivators move up and down but there is a hydraulic drip. Guess that is why the unit needed hydraulic oil.
Is the hydraulic unit hard to rebuild or repair?
Carburetor still dripping, waiting on kit from Tractor Supply. Thinking about putting an inline filter in fuel line too.
Started working with the PTO lever. Couldn't move it down to engage PTO. Finally got it pushed down and it would only go about 3/4 of the way back. Kept working it and it loosened up and now works pretty easy, both in and out. Made a little progress today.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: '51 Cub - several problems

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:12 pm

I can't help with the other stuff, but if you can cancel the carb kit order from Tractor Supply I would do it tonight if they are still open. McDonald Carb is a lot better place to get what you need. You probably don't need everything in the kit anyway.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Drfting1
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 07461
Tractors Owned: 53 Cub

Postby Drfting1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:46 pm

I rebuilt hydraulics on mine, wasn't that bad, originally I was just going to replace the seal on the main piston, that's where my leak was, also having trouble moving it, once I had unit off, I couldn't even move the piston, once I was able to get it apart I found the internal filter screen was half disintegrated and distributed throughout the touch control, knew I had to do totally rebuild at that point, found Steiner has a video I followed, she did an excellent job explaining the process, I put my laptop in front of me, I had it done within an hour. Just be careful and lube New seals while putting them in as she stresses, I had a feeling I damaged the new seal on main piston while installing, she works great now, but sure enough a very small leak from there, not enough for me to break it down again, I can deal with a small drip for now, down the road when I have time I'll replace it... little tip if you do go that way, I went out and got a large disposable aluminum turkey pan, I put the control in it while I was disassembling, catches any spare fluid and small parts that might come out
This is the video link https://youtu.be/TOZSwhOiSIk

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Inline fuel filter can cause problems.
Fuel system in a Cub is gravity feed.
Clean the tank out if necessary. Sediment will settle in the bottom of the glass bowl under the tank. Turn the fuel off at the sediment bowl, undo the bowl and clean it out. At the fuel line inlet on the carb there is a small screen at the bottom of the inlet. Clean that out.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi,
If the Touch Control is leaking at the front of the unit, it could be the control valve O ring needs replacing.
Here is a listing for the o-ring at TM Tractor, so you can see it, and where it is.
If it leaks at the front, look up under the unit with a light an see if you can see where it leaks.
The guys have said that a regular o-ring does not work, this o-ring is thicker than a regular o-ring.

The Cubs originally had a gas line like in the TM Tractor listing below. It has pics of how it looks on the tractor.
There is a screen in the fuel strainer, under the gas tank, above the gasket, sometimes they need replacing. The bowl gasket and screen are below.
It is easier to remove the strainer fuel bowl if you move the Touch Control arms to the rear before beginning the work. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/674fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/864fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/426fp.htm

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/235fp.htm