Steering too tight?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Steering too tight?

Postby inairam » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 pm

I have been working on the front end of my 65 loboy this winter. Replaced a cracked bolster and since It was all apart worked on the steering assembly.

The bushing in the bolster was replaced and the gear rotated 180. The bolster and lower steering gear housing are together and back on the reactor.

The steering wheel and shaft and the axle are not on yet.

I can not move the steering arm without using a rubber mallet. It that OK? How do check for correct tightness of the steering?

I did not grease the bushing in the bolster. Could it be that?

Or back off the castle nut one section?

Or work the tractor and it will loosen up?

Thank you all in advance.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Re: Steering too tight?

Postby Bigdog » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:46 pm

I would back off the castle nut just to prove or disprove it is the cause. then put it back. I think you will find that once the steering wheel shaft is inserted and the system lubed you will be OK. Also try removing your tie rods to determine if there is binding in the knuckles.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54

Postby Ben B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:11 am

When I rebuilt mine and installed the new pre-lubricated bushings, I still used assembly lube to put it all together. And, I had to take emery cloth and work the steering shaft to get it to properly fit into the new upper bushing, mainly because my shaft was damaged from rust. After I did all that, I made sure that I could turn it by hand before I reassembled it. It was tight after I first put it back together and started using it. Now, it is working good. It does have a small bit of slack in the steering, but nothing like what it originally had, and it steers easy but doesn't wonder around like it used to.

I think you might need to make sure you can get it moving again before getting to far along. Mine was never that difficult to move after reassembly. I could still move it by hand.
Circle of Safety

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Update. I purchased the bushings from http://www.bronzebushings.com/
AA-1214-3 that goes into the bolster was undersized. I purchased 3. I took one of the ones not pressed in and it would not fit on the shaft. I pulled the bushing and keep sanding it by hand and with a dremel to open it up.

unlike Ben, my shaft was in fine shape.

The manual says the diameter in the upper housing after installing is 1.1285-1.1305 ( presumably before installing slightly larger)
The shaft is 1.126-1265
So it should alway be a loose fit before or after pressing it in the bolster.

Next time I will know to check dimensions prior to pressing it in.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

DRaymond
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:52 am

Just a general comment. The first thing I did when I got my first Cub was to get all the manuals and other information I could get my hands (special thank to fellows such as Rudi, god rest his soul, this forum and other internet searches).

The use of the specifications from the manuals lets fit and bore tolerances be determined. From there clearance fits can be calculated taking into account found conditions and wear issues. Of course I used inside and outside micrometers to determine final sizing required.

As a side note a brake cylinder hone has worked wonderfully for me to ream bushing bores to size.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
1975 with homemade mower

Postby inairam » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:46 pm

i have the manauls. did not double chect. my bad. i do not recall seeing in any of the posts mentioning honing with the bushings from bronzebushings.com and assumed it was a direct replacemnt like the other two are.

just a reminder there is great info on this site but u still have to check the manuals.

DRaymond
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow

Postby DRaymond » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:47 pm

I have noticed that my Cubs, based on what I have found to date in my refurbishment projects, have been worked hard, been pretty much "put away wet" and that in general the machines bore an accumulation of short cut quick fixes without followup or use of salvage, direct replacement or substitute spec parts.

With the foregoing in mind I approach each project expecting the worse and with the presumption that the tractor has been out in the weather for the most part (severe rust and water in gear boxes etc. anyone) and that routine maintenance has generally been very limited and not very timely performed (note that almost all maintenance and service items are to be done according to hours of use and this with a machine that did not have an hour meter as part of its standard equipment-go figure!) I get it that these tractors were pieces of equipment that had to be tough, reliable, and "earn their keep" not just to be used in parades, photo ops and displays. However having said all this they sure did not seem to get the "care and feeding" that work horses did.

OK sorry to be on my soap box. Still learning everyday from the folks on this forum. Even replys to questions that make you scream DID YOU NOT READ THE MANUAL have proven to be very helpful especially in getting useful tips and ideas from those that have dealt with those issues that have come up in their journey to save these little guys and keep them running.

Heck I certainly am nothing special-still haven't figured out how to post any of my pictures-but my experience to date in working on my tractors have given me a profound respect for the Cub, this website, the people that have salvaged and made those parts available, those that designed and built these Cubs and the farmers that creatively worked them.
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 pm

I tell anybody that will listen....best 10 horse tractor ever made. used reasonably and maintained, they will outlast all of us....

Ben B
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (post demo)
MTD Cub Cadet 42
MTD Cub Cadet 54

Postby Ben B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:03 pm

There's a lot of good points in this discussion about the care, and lack thereof, given to many of our cubs. Most certainly, if people had treated their work horses the way they did these little cubs, the horses would have died of overwork and neglect! My '50 cub had been worked to death, rolled over, left out in the weather, and was patched up with nails for cotter pins, brazed castings, chipped gears, and repaired sheet metal. If it had been a horse, they would have shot it in the head. I used to think I should have junked it out. But, now I'm glad I didn't. It's been a lot of work, but with all I've had to do to fix it, I know my way around a cub much better because of it. So, I have no regrets about it now.

But to the farmer's defense, they have one of the hardest, nastiest, and most thankless jobs in this country. And the sad thing is, small farmers just get by at best, and that with usually working a regular job with it. I know they didn't have the money to spend on their machines like they probably wished they could have.

Now, to get back on topic, I am disappointed that Bronze Bushings doesn't make a direct replacement for that upper bushing. Yes, I had to modify mine. Read the original post under that subject to read about what I had to do.

I will also say that it is nice to have just a few degrees of free play in the steering verses the 1/4 turn of free play I used to. It doesn't wonder all over the road anymore! So to me, all that extra work for that upper bushing was worth it!
Circle of Safety