12 Volt Conversion

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
COAG
Zip Code: 06492

12 Volt Conversion

Postby COAG » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:43 pm

Well not yet got my fingers dirty in a Cub, but our newly acquired 53 Cub that had been sitting for about 10 years in a barn is up and running with a Carb rebuild. Starts right up and purrs nicely. Need to rewire and add light switch etc. and wanted to get thoughts on leaving all as is 6 Volt, or should I mess with it and upgrade at this time to 12 Volts? A consideration would be where to find info and parts to make the conversion happen, and how much time and budget cost should I figure?

Stevetractor
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 Farmall Cub

Re: 12 Volt Conversion

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:51 pm

6 V systems work just fine if maintained proper. The only upgrade to consider maybe would be a 6 V electronic ignition module to replace annoying points. Much better spark and smooth timing. Also if the voltage regulator ever quits you can buy solid state regulators that can be hidden right inside the old regulator and gives the stock look.

COAG
Zip Code: 06492

Postby COAG » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 pm

That is what I was told by a veteran Farmall Mechanic. Where may I find a knowledgeable supplier of the 6 volt ignition and complete wiring harnesses that may have good instruction manuals and support?

Stevetractor
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: B0v1a0
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub
1955 Farmall Cub
1968 Farmall Cub

Postby Stevetractor » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:30 pm

I buy my harnesses from J Brillman. They specialize in antique vehicle electrical parts. They have a great catalogue which I assume you could do an online search for. Different harnesses depending on year and options. Cut out vs regulator and battery ignition vs magneto etc. Clover industries in California make the solid state regulator conversions. Hope this helps.