Cooling issues !

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Sparkey1207
Zip Code: 45036
Tractors Owned: Used to own 55 cub with blade and 42" deck
Currently restoring 63 cub and looking for grader blade

Re: Cooling issues !

Postby Sparkey1207 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Now this is embarrassing.

First of all let me say that all suggestions posted above were good ones. I replaced head gasket using copper coat, checked radiator and around cylinders for anything that could be blocking coolant flow. Everything was surprisingly clean. And I still had the same issue with overheating. I've done some bone headed things in my past and this is no different. With spring here and my limited time to work on cub I got in a rush to get it back together and running ( mistake #1 ). When I can ,as a toolmaker I'll make any parts I can such as gaskets, brackets etc. Why spend a dollar when you can waste 2 or 3 hours making it ????? ( emphasis on "gasket" and mistake #2 ). The gasket for the lower radiator casting where it bolts to the block is one of the parts I made. I trimmed the outline and bolt holes, stuck it to the lower casting and came back a few days later to put it all together( now refer back to mistake #1). In my rush I Didn't Cut Out The Center Of The Gasket So water Would Circulate !!!!!!!!!!
Fortunately, other than feeling like a dumbass, I only bruised my ego and not the Cub. Moral of this story.... Slow down and check the details. It now runs like a champ without cooling issues.

Mike
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:06 pm

Congrats on getting it solved. IMHO lessons learned from the "school of experience" are not easily forgotten. Most of us have made some of those "foolish mistakes" as well if we will be totally honest so don't be too hard on yourself. Stan

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Waif » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Problem solved. You figured it out . Much better than if some one else had!

Tuning up my first car(66 Ford 200 engine) I put the new distributor cap on backwards. It fit fine though. Just would not start for some reason.. :lost:
I won' t mention some " tink" sounds over the years from over torquing things ,or using the wrong tools.
Or things not tightened properly, ect....