Cub Power?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rjpoog1989
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 16650
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub

94 Wheelhorse 312-8

Cub Power?

Postby Rjpoog1989 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:15 pm

So I got my Woods 59 all put together today for the start of mowing season. I'm figuring next week I'll be needing to mow some grass.

I'm not really sure what to expect from this tractor. It's old, 10 or so hp, gotten to running condition by me, and the deck is rather large. I took it out to test and it seems like it doesn't have all the power it should. Seems best at 3/4 throttle, after that it kinda bogs down. I'm guessing it's a timing issue as I have yet to purchase a timing light. Or maybe it's perfectly fine and I expect too much...
1948 McCormick Deering Farmall Cub:
- International L-54 blade
- Woods 59 mower
1994 Toro Wheel Horse 312-8: 42" rear discharge deck
Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth
Craftsman 18" chainsaw

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Power?

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Did you ever check compression? Timing may help and valve adjustment may help if it hasn't been done.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rjpoog1989
Cub Star
Cub Star

94 Wheelhorse 312-8

Postby Rjpoog1989 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:36 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Did you ever check compression? Timing may help and valve adjustment may help if it hasn't been done.

Bob

I've never checked compression, don't have a tester. I wouldn't know the first thing about adjusting valves either... I would bet my uncle did these things when he restored it but I guess things could change in 15 years.
- Woods 59 mower
Craftsman 18" chainsaw

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 pm

You can probably borrow a compression gauge from one of the local auto parts store. If the compression is low, there won't be much to do to help other than a rebuild. Valves and timing will help get the most out of what you have though. Here's a link to a "how to" on valve adjustment:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=15503 The first one or two can be slow, but once you get the hang of it, it goes fast.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:12 pm

It won't mow hay. If the grass is dry, and a reasonable length, it should handle it, if well tuned, and not unreasonably worn.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how to adjust the valve clearance. You use a feeler gauge, like the points in the magneto, and 2 wrenches. Getting the cover off from the side of the engine is not always easy, there are other parts there.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-39.jpg

I don't know if you checked the air cleaner. If it is plugged some, that will reduce the engine's power. The oil cup on the bottom of it needs cleaning, and new motor oil put in. I use thin oil, too thick an oil won't flow easily.
It is supposed to be removed and the whole thing washed out, so it doesn't get plugged. Here are pages from the Cub owner's manual telling how to clean the air cleaner.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-28.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-29.jpg

Rjpoog1989
Cub Star
Cub Star

94 Wheelhorse 312-8

Postby Rjpoog1989 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:26 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:It won't mow hay. If the grass is dry, and a reasonable length, it should handle it, if well tuned, and not unreasonably worn.
Ed

It does cut grass, just doesn't seem to like any kind of incline. It makes it up, just seems to struggle.

Glen wrote:Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling how to adjust the valve clearance. You use a feeler gauge, like the points in the magneto, and 2 wrenches. Getting the cover off from the side of the engine is not always easy, there are other parts there.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-39.jpg

I don't know if you checked the air cleaner. If it is plugged some, that will reduce the engine's power. The oil cup on the bottom of it needs cleaning, and new motor oil put in. I use thin oil, too thick an oil won't flow easily.
It is supposed to be removed and the whole thing washed out, so it doesn't get plugged. Here are pages from the Cub owner's manual telling how to clean the air cleaner.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-28.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-29.jpg

I did clean the air cleaner. I have it filled with Case 30wt oil same as the motor. I guess I'll have to take it all apart and adjust valves.

Couple other thoughts:
Some reading indicates timing with a light is more difficult with only 1 notch on the pulley. Is static timing sufficient?

After reading the how to on valves it says about making sure the governor rod is adjusted after having the carb off. I rebuilt the carb, but never adjusted that rod. No idea how to be honest. Could this be part of my issue?
- Woods 59 mower
Craftsman 18" chainsaw

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Low compression can be caused by improper valve adjustment or worn rings/cylinder walls. Running a compression test won't cost you anything and can give you a good overview of the health of the engine. Doing a compression test both wet and dry can pinpoint where the lost compression is going.

Another thing to consider is proper mower set up. The front of the mower deck should be about 1/4" - 3/8" lower than the rear. That will allow the blades to cut once instead of twice per revolution.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Static timing is fine.

A miss-adjusted link from the governor to the carburetor could contribute to your problem.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Give it a good tun up, including timing, and also check mower adjustments. At cutting height, the blades should be 1/4 inch lower at the front edge than the back edge. Also with the 59" mower you have to keep the grass short, you do not have the horsepower to let the grass get ahead of you.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

inairam
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 with international 1000 loader
1949 with kub klipper belly mower.
1957 with c-2 mower & c-54 grader blade
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower
1975 with homemade mower
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:03 am

No one said this yet but you got a very nice tractor from your uncle. Nice paint nice rubber. Learn little about it and it will serve you well for years.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Urbish
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:52 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Give it a good tun up, including timing, and also check mower adjustments. At cutting height, the blades should be 1/4 inch lower at the front edge than the back edge. Also with the 59" mower you have to keep the grass short, you do not have the horsepower to let the grass get ahead of you.

And keep those blades SHARP. I mow 4 acres with my Cub fitted with the 60" deck in 2nd gear without issue. I don't let the grass get beyond 4" tall or so. And even then I have to pull 1st gear when I get into the thick stuff in a low spot.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:06 am

inairam wrote:No one said this yet but you got a very nice tractor from your uncle. Nice paint nice rubber. Learn little about it and it will serve you well for years.

:Dito:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rjpoog1989
Cub Star
Cub Star

94 Wheelhorse 312-8

Postby Rjpoog1989 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:29 am

Urbish wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Give it a good tun up, including timing, and also check mower adjustments. At cutting height, the blades should be 1/4 inch lower at the front edge than the back edge. Also with the 59" mower you have to keep the grass short, you do not have the horsepower to let the grass get ahead of you.

And keep those blades SHARP. I mow 4 acres with my Cub fitted with the 60" deck in 2nd gear without issue. I don't let the grass get beyond 4" tall or so. And even then I have to pull 1st gear when I get into the thick stuff in a low spot.

So you're saying I should be able to mow flat terrain in second gear, provided I'm not cutting much grass. I want to set up the mower to cut around 3 inches or longer. Better root system that way and less weeds (I have a turf grass degree). Hoping not to let the grass get much over 4.5 inches (as not to violate the 1/3 rule of mowing height). I have about 3 acres to mow, mostly flat

inairam wrote:No one said this yet but you got a very nice tractor from your uncle. Nice paint nice rubber. Learn little about it and it will serve you well for years.

Thanks, learning a lot from this site so far!
- Woods 59 mower
Craftsman 18" chainsaw

Larryhas3
Zip Code: 61523
Tractors Owned: 1959 Farmall Cub

Postby Larryhas3 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm new to Cubs, but wanted to mention my experience. Bought my first Cub last summer. It already had a Woods 59C belly mower. When I first played to mow my small residential yard (entertainment for both me and the neighbors), it also mowed great on the level and struggled with a slight incline near a tree. As I started going thru all the basics to figure out what I had, I found the carb float was set way to low and thus starving it for fuel when it was both working and pointed up the incline. I have since mowed a different property where the back acre hadn't been cut in a couple years. I was impressed with the Cub! I had to be in 1st gear and it worked hard but it cut fully 8" off the top pretty well. Only stalled it once... In a different area that had previously been mowed about a month before, I ran along in 2nd gear without any challenge at all to the Cub. When you get yours adjusted right, I think you'll be happy with it.
Larry
Still plays with tractors
:tractor: