sickle bar mower question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brian R
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01463
Tractors Owned: 1953

sickle bar mower question

Postby Brian R » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:45 am

I recently acquired a 5' sickle bar mower that is in tough shape and was looking at the repair from some PO. The welded material is on the right sides of the original piece that has broke off. My concern is that the mower will not be lined up properly causing wear and other problems. I am not sure if I should correct this now while I'm working on it. I would appreciate any thoughts. Photo attached.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=27640
Attachments
mower 1.png

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: sickle bar mower question

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Hi,
Have you tried putting that piece of the mower on the tractor and see how it lines up, if the mounting holes don't line up, or the piece doesn't fit right, is out of line, then you will probably have to cut off whatever was welded on in the wrong place, and change it.
If you have to cut something off the mower, you can probably tack weld the piece or pieces onto the mower while it is attached to the tractor, then it should be lined up. Good luck. :)

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:22 pm

The original configuration of that hangar would have one hole on each side with a slot angling down and back. The holes are tapered to receive a tapered implement bolt. The slots are there so you don't have hold the hanger up while you try to thread a bolt on each side, just drop it over a loosened bolt and then tighten. Which is where most problems with the hanger assembly begin; failure to keep the bolts tight. The bolts loosen with vibration, the hanger assy comes off. PO puts it back on a couple times then gets out the torch and redesigns the hanger to use both upper and lower bolt holes with no slots "to hold it better" I'm sure while mumbling "It'll stay on there now!" Doing this is a band aide instead of fixing the problem! The real problem is cured by correcting whatever is causing the excess vibration along with understanding how the sickle mower works and the need to check the mounting bolts frequently for tightness.

My recommendation is to either use it like it is until it dies or find a good donor hanger assy and rebuild everything and have a new mower.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Hi,
Here is a pic from TM Tractor showing how the front mounting originally was.
Below is the Cub 22 mower owner's manual, if you don't have it. It is for 3 different mowers for 3 different models of tractors. Some info is for all 3 mowers, and some for 1 model, it tells at the top of the pages, from page 13 on. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html
Attachments
Cub 22 mower 4.jpg

Brian R
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01463
Tractors Owned: 1953

Postby Brian R » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:34 pm

[Thank you both very much for the help and clarity on this. Another issue I am having is the pitman bushing and wrist pin connection which is very loose and wobbly. The pitman presently has a brass bushing with the 2 holes in it. I purchased a new bushing form the local IH dealer with the intention of removing one and replacing. However the new bushing slides right inside the existing one. The new bushing has the 2 holes also.download/file.php?mode=view&id=27720
Attachments
pitman 3 (627x800).jpg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:00 pm

I assume the new bushing won't go over the wrist pin. The current one isn't that loose is it?

What are the part numbers of the new bushing and the existing part it should fit into?