Longstripe safety switch

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Longstripe safety switch

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 pm

On my '76, the safety switch has been bypassed; the two spade connectors are bare and there are two wires twisted together. I can't see how depressing the clutch pedal activated the solenoid. Was there a "post/bracket" on the clutch that depressed the safety switch? Also can't find a wiring diagram. I'd like to remove the solenoid so that I don't have one tractor that starts with the clutch depressed and all the others with it out. The key switch also has a left position which springs back to the center, but does nothing and I assume that switch replaced the original.

Thanks, Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Longstripe safety switch

Postby tst » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Bob, there was a push button switch with the 2 spade terminals on it, on the clutch adjustment bolt had a metal strip added to it so when you push it down the metal strip pushed the button in to make contact allowing the solenoid to make contact so the starter could engage, you have to have the solenoid to make the starter work, it carries the load to the starter, here is the wiring, they did not put it in the manuals for you to find, the factory key switch had three spade terminals on the back so that will tell you if it is a stock switch
Tim
Attachments
late cub alternator.jpg

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks Tim, It looks like the button froze so they removed the strip and then rewired to bypass the solenoid. I'll have to decide what I want to do since it starts okay with just the key switch now.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:19 pm

that is common, to bypass it , the metal strip breaks off so they just tie the two wires together, that works find, the strip was a pain, it bent, broke, moved, it was more of an aggravation switch

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi,
Here are pages from the Cub parts book showing the metal strip, it is number 23 in the pic, I don't know if you saw it already. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 007-04.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 007-05.jpg