International 1000 Loader

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jpate831
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Re: International 1000 Loader

Postby jpate831 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Okay, quick question:

I filled the Touch Control reservoir, and I'm about to fill the loader reservoir. But since I just rebuilt the pump and replaced the gaskets on the manifold and bypass block, the lines are probably empty. How's the best way to get the air out of the system, both the TC and the Loader? I know that without the loader I'm supposed to leave the fill plug out and cycle the TC 10 times or so to get the air out of the TC and lines. But I can't exactly do that since the hose from the loader will be attached to the fill hole of the TC.

Will all of the air work its way over to the loader reservoir?

Can I cycle the TC cylinder first, without the loader hose connected to the TC fill hole?

Just trying to get the process down so I can hopefully make some progress tomorrow.

Thanks.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 17, 2017 10:32 pm

jpate831 wrote:Can I cycle the TC cylinder first, without the loader hose connected to the TC fill hole?

At this point, I would do that. Cycle the TC and make sure the reservoir is topped off (with the rockshaft rotated forward). Hook up the loader hose, rotate the rockshaft back, top the loader off, cycle the loader.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu May 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Filling the TC reservoir with the rockshaft fully forward (cylinder extended) in this application makes sense now.

When you retract the cylinder, your TC reservoir becomes "overfull" pushing as much of the air out as possible.

There's always going to be a small pocket of air in the TC, but it shouldn't grow like it has been for you.

jpate831
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37172
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1949 Massey-Harris Pony
1957 Allis Chalmers D14
1971 Sears SS14

Postby jpate831 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Well, you'll never guess what I did tonight.

With the Touch Control filled, and the loader hose disconnected, (and after a short prayer :) ) I cranked up the tractor and tried to cycle the TC...nothing. No response regardless where I moved the lever. I tried it a few times over several minutes but had no luck. Without much thought, I disconnected the pump and the manifold and ripped the pump apart and rechecked everything. Fresh fluid went everywhere. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the pump, so I carefully reassembled it and reattached it to the tractor, but I left the lines off. I cranked the tractor and squirted a little oil into the input hole, and it promptly spit it out the output hole, so I pronounced the pump "good" and reattached the lines and the manifold. I refilled the TC, this time with some new hy-trans compatible Traveller fluid from TSC. I cranked the tractor, revved it up a bit, and heard the pump pick up the fluid. Once it did, I was able to cycle the TC with no issues. I shut the tractor off with the TC rockshaft cylinder extended. I topped off the TC, filled the loader reservoir, and attached the suction hose to the TC. I fired it up once more and retracted the TC cylinder and topped off the loader reservoir.

I cranked the tractor again and raised the bucket enough to drive out of the shop. Once outside, I raised the bucket to the top. It raised smoothly the first time, as expected. I slowly lowered it, halfway still expecting to see the familiar fluid fountain, but this time...NO FLUID. I cycled it again and again in disbelief, and still no fluid came out. I tilted the bucket back and forth several times. All of the action was smooth, with no chattering or hesitation. I looked at the tractor, looked at my new dirt pile, and then back at the tractor. And with a partial, Harrison Ford-like grin on my face, I climbed on the Cub and I MOVED DIRT with my Cub and my loader!!

By the time I moved a few buckets of dirt, it was dark. I grabbed my flashlight and checked for leaks...nothing. No foam fountain, no fluid on the bottom of the pump, nothing. It just works.

I generally prefer a scientific approach to things, with only one variable at a time. But this time I don't know what the solution was. It could have been rebuilding the pump. Maybe it was replacing my homemade bypass block gasket. Or maybe it was the magic fluid, or maybe just excessive air in the TC. Whatever it was, it's working now.

Thank God and everyone who took the long journey with me. I greatly appreciate every suggestion and response. Together we figured it out.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome! :worthy:

Crimson Tim
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Thu May 18, 2017 10:21 pm

:{_}:

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 am

Your perseverance is admirable! Congrats on the outcome.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 am

Excellent! Now I feel bad for the dirt pile, cause it doesn't exist anymore. The 1000 does make a nice wheelbarrow, doesn't tip over.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)