Farmall losing power and stalling on hills

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Badweed
Zip Code: 83815

Farmall losing power and stalling on hills

Postby Badweed » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

I have a 1948 farmall cub that i purchased a couple years ago to help work my couple acres. It always seems to stall out after working for 40 mins or so and then starts up again when it cools off and you pray and hold your mouth the right way.

I replaced the distributor cap, condensor, rotor last year.

Anyway, i mounted my grader blade in the belly position with a little "macgyvering" (missing the bellcrank), and went to work grading some new gravel into the driveway. ( cub works awesome for that!)

After about 20 mins yesterday, it predictably started losing power when going up the hill, coughing and sputtering and then stalled out and wouldnt start....battery was obviously dead. So i recharged it overnight and the cub started in about a millisecond this am.

2 passes up the driveway today, and it stalled again and wont start. Seems like the battery is dead again. The battery was new last year. Also new rebuilt carb.

Anyway, i was doing some reading on the forum and maybe the coil? Not sure why the battery seems to be draining?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Farmall losing power and stalling on hills

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Badweed wrote: It always seems to stall out after working for 40 mins or so and then starts up again when it cools off and you pray and hold your mouth the right way.

That's indicative of a bad coil. I'd replace it.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Rodney51Cub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62995
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1950 John Deere A
1950 Case VAI
1943 Farmall H
1940 Farmall H

Postby Rodney51Cub » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Badweed wrote: Seems like the battery is dead again. The battery was new last year. Also new rebuilt carb. Steve

First thought would be charging system not working. Many topics on checking the charging system, and troubleshooting guides.

Rodney 8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:43 pm

If it has a magneto, the battery going dead will not cause it to loose power or die, just add to difficulty of restarting. Have you checked what sort of spark you have when it quits? If the coil is failing when hot, you should see a much weaker spark. If the spark is about the same then as when you first start it in the morning, something else is going on.

khutchins
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub all original

Postby khutchins » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 am

With the symptoms you describe you've got two separate problems.
The stalling then restarting after it cools down is most likely a bad or weak coil.
As far as the battery dieing, I can only think of one thing. Are you running it as a positive ground system? Years ago due to ignorance I hooked mine up as a negative ground and couldn't keep the battery charged. Once I switched out to positive ground it fixed the problem.
Hutch

Crimson Tim
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:46 am

Another possibility for draining battery is frayed insulation someplace causing an partial short. Could even be accumulated grass and dirt someplace that can carry a trickle current to drain the battery if it is damp.
Even if it's not charging, it shouldn't drain the battery that fast. There's some kind of drain going on. My '77 isn't charging at all right now, but throwing it on an external charger every 2-3 weeks is enough to be able to use it every couple of days.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:55 pm

One of the first things learned on this forum was that my needing a fully charged battery being needed to crank ( and at times even that not enough) was my battery ground. Going to the braided style solved that issue.

Is a charge being indicated on your dash meter when rpm are up? Was generator polarized after the last time wires were off it?
IF generator is working ..what position is your dash light switch on?
If a four position the bottom position should be low charge and show the meter needle past center. The next position clockwise is high charge/ output and needle will move farther.
Third position low lights front and rear. Fourth position high/ bright lights.

If you have the lights on and a wire shorted it could draw a lot of juice.

I'd want to know generator and regulator are both working first. ( Research removing battery lead and wiring ,then how to reinstall and polarize generator and regulator).
Then check all wiring connections and terminals.

As others mention ,your coil may be causing the stall when hot. Unless modded ignition from stock and if you just have a magneto ,no battery needed to run.