Ratchet Type Starter Drive/Bendix

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
zim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47390
Tractors Owned: 1950 McCormick W-9
1945 Farmall M
1947 Farmall H
1956 International 300 Utility
1948 Farmall Cub
1963 International Scout 80

Ratchet Type Starter Drive/Bendix

Postby zim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi. I want to install a "ratchet" type starter drive/bendix on my W-9. The W-9 starter is in front of the flywheel, like a Cub (10 tooth/CW). They use the same starter drive, but the starter motor is bigger. The current, original drive hits too hard on 12 volts. The 12 volt system was on the tractor when I bought it and works great otherwise. I put one of the ratchet style drives on my 12 volt M years ago and it's been great; much more gentle and smooth engagement. I realize many of us are fine with 6 volt systems. My 300 Utility and Cub are still running 6 volt systems that work decent. I'm happy with the M and W-9 on 12 volts, though.

I'm not seeing the new type drive listed for a Cub. The ratchet drive is available for a 184 (also 10 teeth, CW), but only in pin type. One of Hamilton Bob's Cubs' eBay auctions shows the set screw type, but he doesn't currently have one in stock. They sub it out with the stock type. If the set screw type drive becomes available, would it work on my W-9 starter? Have any of you guys installed a ratchet style bendix on your Cubs? That's ultimately what I need. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. zim
1950 McCormick W-9, 1945 Farmall M, 1947 Farmall H, 1948 Cub, 1956 International 300 Utility, 1963 Scout 80