fuel problem

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Papacub
Zip Code: 52653

fuel problem

Postby Papacub » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

Ok, still working on this 58 loboy. Replaced points, condenser, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and have fire at the plugs. Cleaned the sediment bowl, screen, blew out the fuel line, replaced the inlet screen on the carb, the needle and housing, main jet cleaned and new gasket, adjusted float, soaked the carb pieces overnight and let dry and blew out all the orifices, put it back together with new gaskets but still don't seem to be getting any fuel to the cylinders. Won't pop off at all and when I pull the plugs, there doesn't appear to be any fuel at all on them...what am I missing?
Thanks for all your guys help and advice

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: fuel problem

Postby Waif » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:16 am

If line disconnected at carb proves venting and gravity allows a flow ,is float allowing fuel to enter carb?( yes ,you adjusted float.)
Air cleaner allowing intake , and are valves functioning properly when they should?

Papacub
Zip Code: 52653

Postby Papacub » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am

Yes, I have good fuel flow to the carb/ after cranking a little bit it's running out that seep hole by the air intake. How do I check the valves to see if they're working properly?

Bbhzx12
Zip Code: 03865
Tractors Owned: '59 Cub

Postby Bbhzx12 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

Is it moving air? Flow into intake/out of exhaust? If you've got a critter nest in either you may not be able to pull fuel in.
Old timer I knew used to put a capful of gas in each cylinder to get something kicking.
If it don't go, chrome it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Bbhzx12 wrote:Old timer I knew used to put a capful of gas in each cylinder to get something kicking.
Let's not do that.

Have you checked for compression on all cylinders?

Valve cover is under the intake/exhaust manifold. Rotate the engine, watch for valve action. However valve action will not tell you if a valve is not fully closing.

Got decent compression in all 4 cylinders, check, double check, triple check, the ignition timing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi,
Glad you are making progress.
It should get fuel into the cylinders if you close the choke fully while trying to start it. :)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:16 pm

Remove the air hose from the carb, and feel if there is suction there. If there's strong suction, the valves should be ok. Spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid, in, through the air inlet. if it fires, it's a carb issue.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety