This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just bought my first cub at auction. What now?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Twarden770
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30450

Just bought my first cub at auction. What now?

Postby Twarden770 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:21 pm

We just bought a House with 15 acres here in south Ga and I bought a cub at auction for $1700. Never owned a tractor don't know too much about them. The cub came with a belly mower, all seems to work fine. I guess my question is, how did I do on purchase price? Anything particular I should do before I start putting it to work? Are they worth fully restoring? Thanks in advance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Just bought my first cub at auction. What now?

Postby inairam » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:39 am

Step one - Start looking for your second cub!

Price is highly dependent on location, condition and year. If is it ready to go without any major work that is a good price around my area in Philadelphia.

What do you plan to do with a tractor on the 15 acres? are you farming, just cutting grass pasture height, cutting grass lawn height? Depending on that you want to do the comment about the second cub may be something you should consider.

Restoration - Is it worth the money in terms of sale price is one questions. If it worth it to you and the enjoyment you get from a restored tractor is another.
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:30 am

Welcome to the forum!

Post some pictures for us (resize to 1200 pix wide or so before posting otherwise they'll be too big)!

I paid a little more for my Cub with a belly mower, very nice fresh paint, and a recent engine rebuild. You probably did OK at $1700. Compare it with what you could have gotten at Lowes or Home Depot for $1700. You have a machine that will last forever, is repairable, and will out-work a riding mower any day of the week. These were made for 32 years (overall production of almost 250,000) and all parts are widely available in used condition; and many parts can be bought new.

It's my opinion that from a financial perspective, they are not worth restoring given the amount of time and materials involved. However, many find deep personal satisfaction and enjoyment in restoring an antique tractor. If looks aren't important to you, you can just do whatever is needed to keep it mechanically sound and get some work done in the meantime.

Read this ENTIRE thread as it has some good tips for a new Cub owner: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91765&hilit=you+just+brought+home

Also, after you make a few more posts, you'll have access to the scanned manuals for your tractor (upper left corner, click 'Quick Links', 'PDF Manuals')

Jim
Last edited by Urbish on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 am

A couple more posts will allow you to access the downloadable manuals which will give you all the information you need. Top left corner of this page, QUICK LINKS, select the manual you would like. Also read through the topic at the top of this section: What to Do with a Cub you just brought home. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi,
Welcome to the website.
You didn't say what year the Cub is, there are owner's manuals on this site for many years of Cubs.
The guys on here recommend reading the Cub owner's manual, it has much info about operation, lubrication, and maintenance. The manuals are at the top, left of the page, at Quick links, and then PDF Manuals.
You can get the serial number from the plate on the Cub, and find the year of the Cub at the top of the page on here. Sometimes the plate has been painted over, or is gone. The number is stamped in the plate, it is the top number, if there are 2 numbers, one above the other. Each one is several numbers. The page below from the Cub owner's manual shows where the serial number plate is.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-02.jpg

Check the engine oil, it has an oil filter that should be changed too, when needed.
Make sure there is oil in the gear cases, they need checking, and the oils need changing at the intervals shown in the owner's manual. There are 3 separate gear cases in the rear, the transmission, and 2 final drives. Each has it's own oil to check.
Here is a page from a Cub owner's manual showing the lubrication places, this is just one page from the section, it shows how to check and change oils in the manual.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-65.jpg

The Touch Control fluid level should be checked, and the fluid changed if it hasn't been changed in years.
The engine needs a tune up sometimes, so it runs good. The tire pressure needs checking, the front wheel bearings need greasing, the air cleaner needs cleaning, it has an oil cup at the bottom also. The coolant needs changing, and checking for freeze protection. It's all shown in the owner's manual. Good luck with the Cub. :)

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:17 am

POST PICTURES!!!!!!!!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Return to “Farmall Cub”