This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic question - jumping

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BenM
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30107
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic question - jumping

Postby BenM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:25 pm

My hydraulics work but not smoothly. The mower kind of jumps up and down. Bump-bump-bump-bump and its down, bump-bump-bump-bump and its up. Not a smooth transition. I had Shorty idling for about 2 hours today. During that time every 10 to 20 minutes the mover would jump. It wouldn't go up or down but did a little hop and then be still again.

Also, I noticed that the the supports that I am going to attach my drawbar to move as the mower goes up and down. I know there has to be a pivot point in the system somewhere but I wouldn't think that would be it.... Thoughts?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Hydraulic question - jumping

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:01 pm

The hydraulics should move smoothly and stay in one place unless you move the lever. The first thing to check is the fluid as air in the system can cause that behavior. If that isn't the problem, you may need to put new o-rings in the main unit.

The side plates for the drawbar should not move. As mentioned in your drawbar thread, you should have tapered bolts holding them to the final drive housings. If the right bolts are used and they are tight, the plates will not move. When the mower goes up or down, neither the plates nor the big bracket clamped between them should move. The two bolts where the deck is attached to the big bracket should be the pivot point. Those bolts should be installed with bushings to allow movement. Check the mower installation instructions.

eiebe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 54521
Tractors Owned: 1952 farmall cub
1982 lawn cheif

Postby eiebe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Tazes hydraulics jump when I'm ajusting the lever she's never been smooth just hop hop hop til it's in place

BenM
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 30107
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub

Postby BenM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks Jim, I ordered and have the tapered bolts, will get to that project soon!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:54 pm

Be aware there are 2 (that I know of) length tapered bolts, and if you use one that is too long, you may not notice that it has bottomed out, rather than tightened. Then the fitting will still be loose.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”