Calcium chloride and tubes

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rhowes
Zip Code: 14305
Tractors Owned: 2 vintage cub cadets

Calcium chloride and tubes

Postby rhowes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi all: I have been working on my cub and think it's time to get it to rolling status. It turns out it has loaded tires. I am thinking for traction I will need to load the new tires as well so my question is. Is there a special tube or stem that I need? Or will any tube do.
Thanks Richard

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Calcium chloride and tubes

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:49 am

rhowes wrote:Is there a special tube or stem that I need? Or will any tube do. Thanks Richard
Most rear tractor tires/tubes use a two piece valve. The part fixed to the tube is has threads to accept the stem part that is removed to attach a special valve to be able to add the liquid weight. Check your local full service tire repair dealer. You may even be able to use the tubes that are currently in your tires but caution, you can destroy the parts if you don't know how to disassemble it.

rhowes

Postby rhowes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 am

Hi tubes that are in the tires now are at least 30 yrs old. As far as I can see there not leaking but am concerned about reusing them. I was just wondering if there is a special valve to use with calcium chloride. The dealer said he didn't think so but didn't know for sure. I don't want to load my tires and have a valve start leaking when I'm not around and end up loosing a good rim.

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 am

Calcium chloride eats valve stems, cores, wheels it leaks onto. You name it if it's metal it will destroy it. I've ruined several pressure guages just trying to check pressure.
That being said, I wouldn't try to plow snow without having the rears filled. I just had to replace a tube that was only 2 yrs old because the stem started leaking and slowly ate it away. I would suggest you find a dealer that will do beet juice instead. It costs more but in the long run could save you money.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:39 pm

rhowes wrote:...... I was just wondering if there is a special valve to use with calcium chloride. The dealer said he didn't think so but didn't know for sure. I don't want to load my tires and have a valve start leaking when I'm not around and end up loosing a good rim.
I don't know whether you mean tire dealer or tractor dealer but I wouldn't put much faith in either if they didn't know the answer to that question. :(

Loading tires has it advantages, but to me a lot more negatives than benefit, I prefer just bolting on a set of weights. Main thing to me is if I get a hole, and I will get a hole, it's a lot easier and faster to repair the tube.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Scrivet wrote:Loading tires has it advantages, but to me a lot more negatives than benefit, I prefer just bolting on a set of weights. Main thing to me is if I get a hole, and I will get a hole, it's a lot easier and faster to repair the tube.

Agreed, I just took the calcium chloride out of a set of rear tires. I'm a happy camper.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

rhowes

Postby rhowes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 pm

I have done some research and it appears that the liquid they spray on the roads has calcium chloride in it. They say they add an agent to stop it being so corrosive to metal it has a bad taste so wild life won't touch it, I wonder if that's the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Anyway I still have my fathers voice in my ear saying there's nothing as good as a loaded tire. He didn't like wheel weights. Will do some more reading about the beet juice stuff maybe find a supplier and a price. There are some using windshield washing liquid not sure if that is heavy enough though you guys heard of this?

Gary S.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60102
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'59 International Lo-Boy
'48 Ford 8N family owned since new

L59 woods mower
Mott Flail mower 4'
Mott Flail mower 6'
Prewitt post hole digger with mounts for Cub and Ford
Grading and leveling blade with snow ext and hydraulic angle

Postby Gary S. » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:41 pm

I read years ago one of the reasons calcium chloride was used is because that in it's self added weight. In other words if you had say 5 gallons of beet juice or antifreeze mixture it would weigh less than 5 gallons of calcium chloride mixture. Plus the fact back then no one had heard of beet juice and the calcium chloride was most likely cheap

rhowes

Postby rhowes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:07 pm

From what I can remember washer fluid or anti freeze is about the same as water but if you add calcium chloride to water it weighs 20-30 % more, now I'm not sure how much beet juice weighs in at per gallon but if it's safer and less corrosive than calcium chloride maybe I can also add wheel weights if needed. Either way it's going to cost me more than calcium chloride. I wonder if the mixture still in my tires now is any good after 30+ yrs

rhowes

Postby rhowes » Mon May 01, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi all: Have looked into the beet juice deal it weighs 11lbs per gallon and is $3.50 a gallon. Dealer says it's really thick so will need to be put in tires at the shop for the $3.50 a gallon. So I'm going north and get the tires. Will let you know what I think after I get "Poppa Dick" running and have had a chance to give him some exercise
Richard

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 02, 2017 10:49 am

There are different valve stems for dry or liquid filled tires. You can purchase either of them at your local Tractor Supply on the tire repair rack at the back of the store between the lawn mower tires and the tarps.

On a Cub I have a hard time justifying filling the tires because the weight you gain isn't as much as a set of weights and in most cases you don't need more than what one set of weights will give you. Larger tires can have the capacity to replace up to several sets of weights, so it makes more sense.

rhowes

Postby rhowes » Tue May 02, 2017 11:47 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:There are different valve stems for dry or liquid filled tires. You can purchase either of them at your local Tractor Supply on the tire repair rack at the back of the store between the lawn mower tires and the tarps.

On a Cub I have a hard time justifying filling the tires because the weight you gain isn't as much as a set of weights and in most cases you don't need more than what one set of weights will give you. Larger tires can have the capacity to replace up to several sets of weights, so it makes more sense.

Your right about the weights. Not sure how much I can expect as far as weight from a loaded tire will just have to c what it works out to. I have 9.5-24 tires on the cub probably what my father could get used at the time. If the beet juice doesn't do it I will look into the weights.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue May 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Ah, so you are doing the beet juice? Probably my overanalyzing brain, but I thought you had balked at the price.

If you're doing the beet juice you'll have plenty of weight. The only thing you really need weight for is plowing (garden, or snow) unless you have a loader. For plowing dirt, one set of weights gives you more than enough traction; any more and you will start breaking things.

I know a couple of guys here have fluid and one or two sets of weights for plowing snow so they don't have to use tire chains.

rhowes

Postby rhowes » Tue May 02, 2017 1:35 pm

I think I will go with the beet juice not sure how much my tires will hold but am thinking it should be enough weight to plow garden and snow in winter. Any idea how many gallons the tires will hold?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Miller's chart says 17 gallons each. I believe that is the figure for fill to the stem when turned up, about 90%. It will vary some depending on the rim width. Water is 8# per gallon. An alcohol mixture will weigh less, CaCl or beet juice will weigh more all depending on mixture strength. Generally, adding fluid to 9-5-24s is fairly close to adding one set of weights.