Clutch problem on '62 Cub

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sgraber
Zip Code: 46526

Clutch problem on '62 Cub

Postby sgraber » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi! I'm having problems with my clutch on my '62 Cub. Two symptoms of the problem are:

1) If I push the clutch in all the way, the tractor will not completely stop moving forward.
2) When it's out of gear and I push the clutch in all the way, the gears grind. No matter how long I hold the clutch in, it will not allow me to shift into gear and it just grinds.

I checked to see if the clutch adjustment nut had come loose under the clutch lever. It had not from what I could tell, but I tightened it up anyhow to see if that would help. It did help for a while and now the same problem happens as mentioned above after using it for 2-3 hours. The clutch nut has not moved since the adjustment BTW.

I greased the throw out bearing and sprayed some penetrating oil up into the clutch area to see if that might help.

The clutch rod has not come unhooked.

If I lay down and look into the inspection hole while moving the clutch back and forth (tractor off!!!), only one of the three fingers moves up and down. The others are laying flat. I suspect this might be my problem, but I'm not sure.

I've taken some video and photos:

Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/RCM7mg95nivqHgsY8

I'd greatly appreciate any help folks could give as I'd like to get it back out and working! Thank you!

:help: :lost:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch problem on '62 Cub

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Yup. That's the problem. You might try to adjust the finger height through the hand hole. Guessing you will have to split the tractor, inspect the pressure plate. For some reason the pressure plate is not releasing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Ah, ha! I figured out what happened. The finger adjustment screw "unscrewed" itself so the finger wasn't up to the same height as the other two:

https://goo.gl/photos/inyM8AaBGCxas15y8

I was able to get a wrench on it and screw it back down, which in turn brought the finger back up to the same height as the other two. She now shifts just fine! :)

Thank you for the help! :thanx: :{_}:

DRaymond
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 99223
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub 13747 "Marie"
1948 FCub 16109 "Lizzie"
1948 FCub 44181 "Gussie"
Cub-54A Leveling & Grader Blade
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby DRaymond » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Absolutely outstanding presentation of your problem! The video of the clutch operation is helping me beyond words. I am just in the process of checking my new installation. Viewing through the hole to confirm my clearance has been proving difficult. I now know exactly what I should be seeing!
DT Raymond
Spokane, WA
48 FCUB - Marie
48 FCUB - Lissie
48 FCUB - Gussie
Cub-193 Moldboard Plow
Cub-22 Mower
Cub-54 Leveling & Grader Blade

sgraber

Postby sgraber » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 pm