Which valve set?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Fordman
Zip Code: 40071
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall cub
1966 Ford 3000
1975 international 140

Which valve set?

Postby Fordman » Mon May 08, 2017 9:20 am

Having my 52 cub engine rebuilt, the builder said I need to get new valves, guides ect... Was wondering if you guys have any recommendations? I heard people talk about hardened seats? Is that important? Iam doing a total restore of this tractor and plan on keeping it as long as I live so I really don't want to go the cheap route. Any help appreciated! Thanks :tractor: p

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Which valve set?

Postby Eugene » Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 am

If the valve seats can be cleaned up, I would do so. There is considerable expense in cutting in and installing new valve seats. The original engine in many running Cubs still has the original valve seats.

Depending on the condition of the valves, price wise its about a wash, purchase new valves or have the current valves faced. I would go for the new valves.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Mon May 08, 2017 9:40 am

Hardened seats are important on old engines designed to run on leaded fuel that are being run on unleaded now. This is very true of high rpm/power car and truck engines. The little ol' Cub engine doesn't really require them, but some recommend that hardened seats be installed at least on the exhaust valves. I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions. If you want to never worry about it again (and can bear the expense), go ahead and have hardened seats installed. The next issue will be finding someone to do the work as many engine/machine shops don't have seat grinding tools that are small enough for the Cub valves.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 08, 2017 9:50 am

Urbish wrote:The next issue will be finding someone to do the work as many engine/machine shops don't have seat grinding tools that are small enough for the Cub valves.
Small engine shops will have the equipment to take care of any issues with the cylinder bore and valve seats.
I have an excuse. CRS.