7 McCormick Deering Sickle Mower

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Re: 7 McCormick Deering Sickle Mower

Postby tmays » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am

Timed correctly?

Edit: bar at 90 degree angle to direction of travel?
Thomas

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Depending on tire size, 1st gear full throttle is a little over 2 mph. You're at one third throttle which might be about 1 mph. Horses walk about 4 mph according to google. Since the mower is ground drive, the speed of the knife is directly related to the speed of travel. Yours is going back and forth at about 1/4th the speed it is designed for. If it still looks like the picture it'll take a little time to wear that paint off. You can look in the manuals section at the Cub 22 mower and get some insight on the things that have been mentioned about setup and sharpness. Surprisingly IH didn't make many changes to the business end of a sickle mower for about seventy five years.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 pm

Looks like a home-made pitman. It may or may not be the correct length.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:30 am

Good information about the speed. I was hesitant to go faster, I guess no knowing how fast horses walked.

Not sure on the pitman arm, I will research and see how long it is supposed to be

Timing .... well it seems to send the blade out evenly through each shoe and it does also seem to run at 90 degrees to travel.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 am

My Grandfather used to pull one about that size behind his Gibson D, so a cub should be no problem, but it did need a person or added weight to keep the wheels from sliding .
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CDD
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CDD » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 pm

[quote="tmays"]Timed correctly?

I have not found in the manual or online how to get it in register(time). I know what it is but how do you adjust it?

tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 pm

CDD wrote:
tmays wrote:Timed correctly?

I have not found in the manual or online how to get it in register(time). I know what it is but how do you adjust it?

I'm not familiar how to do it on horse drawn units, but you can at least check that tip of knives stop and change direction while under the guards.

I know you probably already realize, but it's odd that it moves but doesn't cut anything. Should at least cut some or clog up with grass if it's not cutting
Thomas

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:32 pm

If you go to PDF Manuals, the Cub 22 owner's manual explains how to adjust the register. The illustration won't paste and copy and you need to see that second page to understand what you're doing. This assumes that the #7 and Cub 22 are somewhat similar.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Tongue needs to be at the right elevation when checking register and lead. The front bottom of a horse tongue should be 31 inches off the ground. Without a full length tongue, you need to project from what you do have. Register is adjusted by unbolting the flywheel shield from the mower frame and screwing it more or less on the coupling bar brace. Cutter bar lead is adjusted by undoing a bunch of stuff so you can screw the coupling bar (diagonal part runs from gear box to hinge) in/out of the hinge. Lead should be 1 inch plus/minus 1/8 on a 4 foot bar, more for longer.

WaMoo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 99101
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:02 am

Scrivet wrote:Horses walk about 4 mph according to google... ...Surprisingly IH didn't make many changes to the business end of a sickle mower.

I think you're going a little slow too. My normal walking pace is about 3 mph, which is about what a draft horse will walk at, but sometimes I have to pick up my pace if they're really leaning into a load. Of course like people, drafts will have different speeds too. So I would say anywhere from 3 to 4 mph would be good.

My Cub 22 sickle bar is exactly the same as my McC-D #9 mower. I guess IH thought "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Here is a favorite reference of mine for both horse and tractor sickle bar mowers:

https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlu ... sequence=1
WaMoo
Bluecreek, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington