Need advice on tires

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gjpgonzo
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 01906
Tractors Owned: 1958 McCormic Farmall Cub

Need advice on tires

Postby gjpgonzo » Wed May 31, 2017 8:56 pm

I will be using my 58 Cub to pull floating docks and other small items out of the lake, can anyone suggest rims and tires that would work better in the sand and mud? Wider the better???

Thank you in advance. :help:

gjpgonzo
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 01906
Tractors Owned: 1958 McCormic Farmall Cub

Re: Need advice on tires

Postby gjpgonzo » Wed May 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Forgot to add "notify me of replies"

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Wide is probably good as long as you're still talking about the typical Ag the tires. They will be your best bet. Add wheel weights, chains, dual wheels if you need to.

In an of itself, however, tire width alone isn't much use IMO except simply to avoid tearing up the lawn. I spent much of my youth mowing 10 acres with a 70s Ford 2000 or something similar with ridiculously wide (24"?) flotation tires on it. I think that rig was wider than it was long. (The budding engineer in me never understood why you would put a 5' mower deck behind a 9' wide machine--you could only cut half the yard at a time. You couldn't cut the other half because you just steamrollered it flat before the mower deck ever got to it. :roll: . The 12 year old in me understood perfectly, though: seat time is seat time, and anything that increases it is a good thing! :{_}: )

Anyway, it is true, it did not sink much if you got into the mud with those tires. You didn't move, either, though. Those tires were absolutely useless as far as traction was concerned in anything at all greasy.

I would think 9" wide Ag tires on dual rims would do very well. Just make sure you only pull from the drawbar, and make sure you have enough weight on the front with all that traction and especially if you have any tongue weight to contend with. Tongue weight and pulling up a hill could be a bad combination. Even worse with a lo boy due to the shorter wheelbase. There's definite potential to flip over backwards there, so by all means be careful!
Last edited by Crimson Tim on Wed May 31, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed May 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Also beware of skidding something on the ground behind you. If it hangs up on a tree root or something, that can turn into bad news fast. You might consider something similar to a log-skidding arch to make that process safer. I think Dale Finch just posted a link to a small, commercially available one within the last week or so.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:22 am

I think the Louisiana guys call them rice tires. The lugs are about twice as long.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:58 am

Crimson Tim wrote:Anyway, it is true, it did not sink much if you got into the mud with those tires. You didn't move, either, though. Those tires were absolutely useless as far as traction was concerned in anything at all greasy.

You often see forestry machinery with huge, wide tires on them (loggers have to watch their ground compaction and soil disturbance depending on how militant the environmentalists are in the area), and they almost always have some sort of tire chains on them. The main reason is to shield the tires from logging slash, but I have to wonder if it also provides some additional traction to counteract the floatation they have.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: '58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's

Postby Lt.Mike » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:59 pm

If your going to play with your Cub in the mud I'd highly suggest you pickup a winch.
You can use a receiver mount aiming forward or backward off the drawbar. Pulling from the front run the cable forward through a shackle mounted up front.
Harbor Freight sells a decent winch cheap ($69 or $59 on sale).
It'll save you when you get stuck.
You can also use it to pull those docks to where you can get traction.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"