Loss of power and stalling while Mowing

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20106
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub with 193 plow, snow plow. Woods 59 mower. unknown disk, John Deere spring-tooth harrow, 2009 New Holland T1510
Circle of Safety: Y

Loss of power and stalling while Mowing

Postby Mr Ziffel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:21 am

I am trying to mow grass again . I am using a woods 59 on my 1950 Cub. I usually have no problems with the mower even in tall grass with the deck elevated enough. Recently AFTER the engine gets fairly warm I loose power and stall out when the pto is engaged . I put the tractor in neutral, disengage the PTO a)nd it fires up ad runs normally , until I mow 10 or 20 feet. I put in brand new plugs and it makes no difference (others were carbon fouled somewhat. I have never been sure about my Governor Is it supposed to kick in under load? and give more power?
I can put the cub in neutral and move the Carb.to Gov. rod and it revs up fine. It does nothing when I need power (ie. mowing )
P.S I can turn the spindles by hand and the deck does not bind at all

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Loss of power and stalling while Mowing

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:51 am

Coil, replace with a known good one. Next guess, condenser.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub with 193 plow, snow plow. Woods 59 mower. unknown disk, John Deere spring-tooth harrow, 2009 New Holland T1510

Postby Mr Ziffel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Thank you . Will get one to replace it asap. I will let you know what happens. I had an old motorcycle that would conk out when it got warm at traffic lights, but when you let it cool off a few minutes it would start again. I had to keep up my speed so the air could keep the engine and coil somewhat cool. The minute you stopped, the coil would get hot and conk out. As soon as the coil cooled she would go again. A new coil did the trick then. :thanx:

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi,
The governor should keep the engine running at the speed it is set at the throttle lever, as long as the engine has enough power to run the mower, or whatever load that is put on it.
The external linkage has to be adjusted right so the governor will work right.

If the coil or condenser is bad, like Eugene said above, then the engine won't run right. :)

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mr Ziffel » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you gentlemen
It is greatly appreciated. :hattip:

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mr Ziffel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:47 pm

The good news is , i have a nice looking coil without the ugly external resistor. The tractor runs fine but it is still loosing power
and stalls out. It was tuned up last year so I decided to check my fuel condition. I removed the fuel line prior to the carb.
and drained a pint or so into a glass mason jar. I saw a few flakes floating around in the fuel . Using a clean magnetic pick up wand
I found a lot of fine metal particles stuck to the head of the tool. There was also some non magnetic junk floating around.\
It looks like the relining job done by the prior owner has failed somewhat. I have had her over 6 or 7 years now.
Its my fault for not putting a filter on the darn hose . Looks like the tank needs relining and the
carb cleaned out.

Any input on relining jobs that are permanent ?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Redkote and Por 15 are both good, but they probably won't bond to the old liner. I'd suggest the Model T tank filter that Bill Hudson did a "how to" on.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
52 F-Cub
49 F-Cub

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:16 pm

I tend to overkill on fuel filtration. I crud gets in the tank I don't want it in the carb. I'm moving to the following configuration for my Cubs:
In the tank, http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=94154
The sediment bowl has the filter screen installed.
In the fuel line prior to the carb, http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=38266
In the carb, the small inlet screen is installed.

Fuel flow has not been a problem for any Cub this filtration configuration has been installed.

Bill
"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

offrink
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm still not positive it's not the coil/condenser. Even new out of the box coils can be bad.

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mr Ziffel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 am

Thank you all for the good ideas. I was hoping to reline and get the tank clean inside. Has anyone been able to re-coat a tank after a previous
reline job. ? My brother took a tank off my Grandfathers old 8n and placed clean gravel in the tank and left the tank in the back of his pickup.
A couple hundred miles of country roads did the shaking . I dont want to beat up the cub tank doing that though.

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mr Ziffel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:02 pm

offrink wrote:I'm still not positive it's not the coil/condenser. Even new out of the box coils can be bad.

I will try the fuel problem and if that doesnt solve things ,I will go back to the coil and condenser etc. Thank you for your reply.
The Napa coil I bought IS made in China. So.......... :roll:

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mr Ziffel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:49 am

Eureka! Yesterday I installed a new fuel strainer from TM along with Bill Hudsons Model T filter modification.
I was able to cut grass for over two and a half hours with no problems. What a great feeling that was.
I also said a prayer to the good lord above, and want to thank him above all else .
You guys have been very helpful. Thank you all for your input.

Mr Ziffel
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Mr Ziffel » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:33 am

Bob McCarty wrote:Redkote and Por 15 are both good, but they probably won't bond to the old liner. I'd suggest the Model T tank filter that Bill Hudson did a "how to" on.

Thank You and Bill Hudson. The Model T filter did the trick .
:tractor: