To pull the head or not?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CubHunter
Zip Code: 45862
Tractors Owned: 1948 F Cub " Massey"

To pull the head or not?

Postby CubHunter » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pm

About a month ago I brought home a 57 cub that had electrical issues. So I rewired it and got it running. The Saturday before memorial day I was checking all the fluids in preparation for the parade and drained about a gallon of water from the differential. Now I am kinda nervous about finding anything else that was not told to me by the seller. It has good compression, oil pressure, and no coolant in the oil. Should I pull the head and inspect just to be safe?

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: To pull the head or not?

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:22 pm

IMHO, no unless you have some other reason to do so. Always the possibility of breaking head bolts. Aaaaagh!!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:27 pm

As a general rule, it's always a good idea to change all fluids on any tractor purchase. You never know what the previous owner used or how old the lube is. I wouldn't pull the head, myself unless there was a reason. If you want to know the general health of your engine, do a dry then wet compression test.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:44 pm

It is not unusual to get water in the transmission/differential, from both rain/washing down the gear shifter, as well as condensation. After you have drained it, refill with gear oil, but be aware it only takes 3 1/2 PINTS!

Do check the Owners Manual for the Lubrication Schedule. There are a few places that are not obvious, like the Fan, and Throw Out Bearing.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi,
If you had water in the transmission, or the oil was mixed with water, the guys on here say, after draining the oil, to put in kerosene up to the level plug, low on the left side of the transmission, put the plug in and drive the Cub for 5 minutes. Driving in 3rd gear would throw the kerosene around the most, washing the inside of the case some.
Then drain the kerosene out, and put in the oil. :)

CubHunter

Postby CubHunter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:50 am

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Guess I am a little frustrated with not knowing the full story of what I was getting into. But no regrets.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 am

In all honesty, I wouldn't be alarmed about the water in the transmission oir final drives. 99% of the people with Cubs NEVER look at the transmission or final drive fluid level. I've owned over 10 of them now, and I always check and drain/refill it when I get one, but that's usually the last time I look at it. It's just not a "problem" area, or something that you need to check regularly, unless you really work a machine or leave it outside all of the time. Also, unless you find a puddle of fluid under the back of your Cub, chances are there's more than enough oil in it to protect the gears under normal, everyday putting around. Most folks I've met where I'm buying a Cub, don't even know that you can check the transmission or final drive oil/grease. They've just inherited the tractor, or their dad always ...., there's no dipstick, or bright yellow label saying "check fluid level here" and basically nobody cares anymore.

If it's running decent DON"T remove the head!!!! I'm doing a head gasket now on a 63 Lo-boy, because the right side head bolts were loose and it was burning antifreeze, and I ended up breaking 5 of the 15 head bolts. Trust me, if it's running, and not burning coolant or oil, I'd never take the head off again! Good news, it's all going back together later today, but I can tell you it's been quite a bit of work for something that should not have been a problem.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:48 am

Speaking from personal experience selling tractors, you CAN'T know and/or remember every little hitch and giddy-up in a machine. Sometimes it's something you didn't run across in your inspection and/or limited use of the tractor between the time you buy it and sell it. Sometimes it's something you weren't sure about two years ago, and some expert friends told you that it was normal, so you put the tractor back together and forgot about it...

I also am convinced that tractors get what I like to call "shipping fever." You buy a tractor that was being used every day on a farm and bring it home. The next day you go to look it over and it has so many problems that there is absolutely no way on God's green earth that tractor could've done a lick of work the day before! It's hemorrhaging oil, won't run right, doesn't move. Yet you just watched it spread a load of manure and not miss a beat, and it drove right up on your trailer without a hiccup.

That's why I always consider my purchases as-is, where-is, and only pay what money I think I can get out of the tractor in parts, OR what money I feel I could light on fire and burn. Otherwise I would go insane with rage and frustration feeling cheated every time some little leak or problem cropped up.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:Speaking from personal experience selling tractors, you CAN'T know and/or remember every little hitch and giddy-up in a machine. Sometimes it's something you didn't run across in your inspection and/or limited use of the tractor . . .

Even the newest Cubs are leaning on 40 years old. Things are going to happen to them. Every part that fails was working fine just beforehand. (This doesn't mean there aren't people trying to misrepresent what they are selling!)

Matt Kirsch wrote:I also am convinced that tractors get what I like to call "shipping fever." You buy a tractor that was being used every day . . .

It works the same way taking them to a tractor show. They are running fine at home. Take them to a show and they start missing and fuel starving. Gas starts leaking from both the strainer and the carburetor!

CubHunter

Postby CubHunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 pm

It started with an "electrical issue" aka someone only half converted it to 12 volt making the whole system a short and blew up the battery. So completely rewired.as a start.

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:59 pm

These tractors are almost tough enough to run with no water in the radiator and only water in the crankcase.....and who needs transmission fluid or final drive lube???
I grew up plowing, discing, and mowing 4' grass with this little tractor. It's been semi- retired for almost 20 years now.
Change every fluid. Make all the adjustments (clutch, brake,etc) and run it. It will need an annual oil change and little else...
Dont touch the head unless there is another pressing issue that REQUIRES it...

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
1949 for sale
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo

Postby Steve Butram » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 pm

if it is running good I wouldn't open up the engine

You may want to check the steering Gear housing for moisture, Water will run down the steering shaft and find it's way past the seal
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden