It really hit the fan today!!!!

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

It really hit the fan today!!!!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Due to my wanting extra room in the shop while working on my loader cub, my mowing cub has been setting under the lean too on the side of my building where the loader cub normally sets. It has not been used for about a week and a half, and I fired it up today to get some of my delayed mowing done. Surprise, a cloud of sticks, leaves, and grass came flying out of the fan. It seems a bird had built a nest on the fan while it was setting, without getting the proper building permits. It looked like most of it had come out, and I thought about going ahead and driving it, but I remembered the day on a club tractor ride I had a fire under the hood of my H due to a bird nest I had not spotted being on the exhaust manifold. Luckily only a few twigs were left after hauling the H 45 miles or so down the highway, so the fire did not amount to anything. Good thing I remembered that and checked the cub, the fan had blown quite a bit of debris on the manifold. Once I cleaned it off I went happily on my way. It really gets your attention when you are leaning forward pulling the starter rod and a cloud of trash comes flying at you. :cry:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CubHunter
Zip Code: 45862
Tractors Owned: 1948 F Cub " Massey"

Re: It really hit the fan today!!!!

Postby CubHunter » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 pm

I thought you ordered the salad....lol

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Tractor ownership is so much fun.

Critters, human and other wise; mud daubers, wasps, skunks, raccoons, snakes, birds. Currently have a herd of frogs invading the shop floor.

Upon my first start up of my standard Cub, hazel nuts rained out of the exhaust pipe. Tractor is stored in a shed. Placing a flapper cover on the exhaust pipe I dropped a nut down the pipe. Long magnet I retrieved the small nut and a much larger nut.

I had a live mouse jump out of the axle tube on a WD Allis.

And then there was the mouse nest and a lot of gear lub that I scrapped out of the torque tube of my standard Cub with one of my wife's large kitchen spoons.
I have an excuse. CRS.

smallfarm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45504

Postby smallfarm » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:40 pm

We have a Deutz Allis that is air cooled. It sat for a few years until the shop could fix something on it. After a month in our shop it went back into service. I was told it was "ready to go" -- and thought that meant it was SERVICED when repaired. Noticed burnt straw smell and shut it down. The cylinder area was FULL of bird nest! About 20 gallons worth.

Bad day at work a few years ago. It was a JD 900HC. Got more insurance money for it than it cost new. For some strange reason I carry a fire extinguisher on my cubs :roll:
Attachments
pic00033.jpg
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Yes. This happened to me. On my granddaddy's Super A. The pretty one, the one the paint job cost more than I care to remember. Thank goodness no damage but it scared the @*@! out of me......

18221807_1424819107541422_8446266418172876402_n.jpg
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub

Postby T-Mo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:53 am

John, I thought for sure there was a mouse or squirrel nest when you started talking about the debris that you pulled out. Maybe that Cub needs to go a little bit east of you to my house. Me and my nephew will keep it occupied long enough to prevent any critter from homesteading.

At least you caught it in time before anything drastic happened.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:01 am

That was a quick eviction party....

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:21 pm

I removed the "horn" on the carb on my CJ2A yesterday and found a large handful of acorns in the throat of the carb, probably at least 2 dozen.