This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Forwards up Back down

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Forwards up Back down

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:43 am

I love my cub. Only thing I hate about it is the touch control. I cannot get used to forward being up. And I was wondering if there was a way to change it without being a hachet job. I could change the lift point to the front of the mower and put the lift bar out the other side of the rocker shaft. But it will take more travel to do the same job and may have clearence problems. Also I am looking at making a grader blade (center mount) and it looks like it will have to hook where the mower does now. As I am looking at reshaping my driveway putting down fabic and 3-4 inches of stone pulling the lever the wrong way and rippping the fabric would not be a good thing. It took me a over month to be able to run a rubber tire backhoe after running excavators for years and only the stick and boom levers are swaped on them. So I do not see me changing 30+ years of back is up without making a mess. Its not bad with the mower as I do not lift it that often but if do not think about it I still tend to pull it the wrong way eaven after two years of three through seven acres once a week.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:56 am

Cowboy,

You may be able to move the actuator rod from the below the center line of the lever pivot to the upper side of the pivot. You would have to play with placement to get the correct travel. A hole could be drilled in the lever and the actuator rod connected to the lever with a pin.

Just a thought.
8)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:57 am

I know what you mean, I was raised on Farmall H tractors, and it took me forever to get used to the cub tc. You mihgt be able to mount a little jever with a center pivot just below the control lever to reverse the direction there. another option is to replce it with a hand lift, no problem forgetting which way you are going there. :lol: and it is a lot more precise on height adjustment.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:00 pm

Cowboy
If you connected the operating rod that goes from the control lever to the touch control block, above the pivot point of the control rod rather than below the pivot point as it is normally, it would change the direction the lever is move to operate the system - that is, back would then be up, fwd would be down.........unless I am missing something.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks Donny

Just went out and looked at it. Guess what. :roll: It looks like I can drive out a roll pin rotate the shaft and re pin it in with the arm on the shaft in the up position.

Hi John

It looks like the the rod has been cut and welded and bent by hand at the clevis pin at the control lever. Now I wonder if it is in the right position at all. On mine as it is now on the hand positioning lever their is a pin with a spring to keep the lever from floping the rod hooks below the centerline of of this pin it looks like it could as easily hook above it which is right :?:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:17 pm

Thanks Paul

So the fatory position is down. I will try to reverse it and see what happens and let you know how it turns out.

Billy

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:47 pm

Billy,

Interesting question. I asked it many times over a 20 year period when I operated my Case TLB with shuttle shift transmission and a Case 222 with hydraulic drive. For whatever reason, the controls were oposite even though they were the same make. :evil: It was never a serious problem except when my hand over-ruled my brain... a serious safety issue. The over-ride only happened when I was in tight quarters. :shock:
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:40 pm

8) It worked :!:

It was pretty easy. Pulled the pin and dropped the control rod off the arm. Couldn't get the roll pin to move and had to heat it and cought the friction materal of the hand positioner on fire. But I was ready for it and poured of pop bottle full of water on it. Spun the lever around to up position. Tried to put the pin back and it would not go in far enough to put the cotter pin back in so I ground a little off the head of the pin and put it in the other way. Drove the roll pin back in and readjusted the the rod at the touch control housing so the hand poaitioner was centered and presto :!:

I belive I could put a cross bar on it so I could move it from the top hole to the bottom without having to readjust the control rod. So I could always have back being up no matter how the implement was hooked up. I have found it is easier for me grab a lever and pull it back and lift or relese it when I am bouncing around the seat than push it forward.

Hi George I agree its a pain when controles are shifted around. Last year one contractor I worked for sent me out to run a rubber tire back hoe. I told him I didn't run them. He told me he needed me out there I said ok but I would be real slow. I know the forman was furious at me as I was mad at my self and fustrated. Even looking at my hands I could not get it to do what I wanted I kept trying to run it like an excavator. And to top it off I had to punch through two layers of ashvalt and dig next to a 11" water main to findout where it was leaking from. Can't belive I didn't break it or kill somone :!:

Billy

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:23 pm

cowboy, how about posting soem pictures of your mod now hat it's done.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:17 pm

Ok John I'll do that. I was going to try and work on figuring out the picture gallery that lildog was kind enough to setup for us. Both my nefews were out last weekend and helped me cut the lawn. And I wanted to post some pictures and brag. They are three and five years old. I just teached (red neck spelling) the three year old how to lift and lower the mower now I'll have to do it agin. Sound like fun.

Billy

Return to “Farmall Cub”