Cub distributor drive housing unit

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmall Dave
Zip Code: 92870

Cub distributor drive housing unit

Postby Farmall Dave » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 am

I am in the process of rebuilding the distributor on my Cub (serial #211326). In removing the unit, lots of oil came out of the drive housing unit. When I re-install the entire unit, do I need to fill this part with oil, or will that happen automatically? Also, what is the purpose of the set screw on the outside of the drive housing unit?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Cub distributor drive housing unit

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:04 am

It gets greased by removing the screw in plug on the side and installing a grease fitting and giving it a squirt if grease once a year or so. The oil came from the seal leaking that is on the governor shaft in front of it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Farmall Dave

Postby Farmall Dave » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks. However, I'm not referring to the set screw on the distributor shaft next to the distributor, but the set screw on the side of the drive housing unit. I already replaced the distributor shaft set screw with a grease fitting a year ago. I need to know about the set screw on the drive housing unit, not the distributor.

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 am

welcome to the forum, there is a gear that needs lube behind the screw, pull it and shoot some grease in there, many leave a grease fitting in the hole for future use, if the oil is running out of it the seal is bad from the governor where it fits in the block

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Hi,
Here is a page from the Cub owner's manual telling about lubing the Battery Ignition unit.
Remove both the plugs, and put in grease fittings, and grease them. The front fitting probably takes more grease than the rear fitting.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... e%2041.jpg

There is an oil seal on the flat surface of the governor gear, if motor oil is leaking, it will be in the space between the Battery Ignition unit, and the seal, and could be in the Battery Ignition housing too.
Here is a listing at TM Tractor showing a new seal, and there is a pic below of the engine.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/436fp.htm

The end of the governor gear is what you see when you remove the Battery Ignition unit. It has the drive slots for the Battery Ignition unit.
Here is a pic of the governor, and it's drive gear, the oil seal runs on the flat place at the right. Sometimes the surface is worn where the seal has been and needs smoothing, or the new seal can be moved to a slightly different place in the engine hole so the seal runs on an unused place on the gear surface. :)
Attachments
Cub gov gear 3.jpg

Farmall Dave

Postby Farmall Dave » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Can the oil seal on the governor be changed easily? When I started this entire project (oil in the distributor), I was told by a staff at a Case I H dealership that the problem was the "O" ring at the end of the distributor shaft. Last week, I replaced the "O" ring (not an easy task) but according to this most recent post, the larger problem seems to be oil leaking in past the oil seal in the governor unit and then past the "O" ring and into the distributor? Is this correct? And if so, is it easy to change out that seal in the governor unit?

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:01 pm

it can take some patience getting the old one out and the new one needs to be installed carefully to the correct depth or it will leak, make sure there is not a big wear grove on the governor gear where seal rides or it will still leak when you are done

Farmall Dave

Postby Farmall Dave » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Is there a problem if I simply let it go, that is, replacing the governor oil seal? I live here in Southern California and my tractor is back in Pennsylvania. I get back there only twice a year, and so I need to do all of my research and purchasing of parts out here between trips. Back there, I'm off the grid - no internet, no TV, no cell service, etc. It's not so much a working tractor as something our larger extended family enjoys, especially kids and grandkids. I removed the distributor and drive unit, as well as carburator in May, and will renew these and then re-install them in October. I just want to make good use of my time. Thanks, again.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi,
Sounds like you are far from the Cub. It will work with the seal leaking, but will probably do what it did before, get oil inside the unit. If oil gets on the points, that is not good, I think the manual says it will cause burning of the points.
I would put in new points while you have the unit off the engine.

I don't know why a dealer would tell you that the o ring was the problem, and not mention the oil seal at the gear.
Someone on here said in the past that he used a slide type puller with a weight, and drilled holes in the old seal for it to screw into and pulled it with that. It can't be very long, or it won't fit in the space between the seal and the oil filter housing.
You can also remove the governor, then you can hammer the seal out. The governor gear has to be installed in the right position so the timing is right for the Battery Ignition unit. There are timing marks on the gears that have to be aligned. You should turn the engine to number 1 TDC before removing the governor.
Below is a pic from TM Tractor of the timing mark on the gear, it is at the left side of the gear, it is small. It has to be aligned with the idler gear that runs it, which has a mark also.

Below is the Cub service manual, the governor info is in section 2, and starts on page 12.
You can look at that, and it shows installing a new seal.
They have said on here before that the measurement it gives was for the older seals that were thicker. New seals are thinner than old seals were, so the measurement has to be different. Unless tst or someone knows what it should be, you just have to adjust it to fit in the right position.
Be sure the seal lip faces forward when you put the new seal in, and that the lip does not get turned backwards when putting the gear surface in through it. :)

http://www.farmallcub.info/galleries/ci ... actors.asp
Attachments
Cub gov gear 2.jpg

Farmall Dave

Postby Farmall Dave » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:01 pm

I am told that only replacing the "O" ring at the end of the distributor drive shaft may not solve the problem of oil getting past the drive shaft housing and into the distributor itself. So, is it possible to drill a small drain hole on the bottom of the drive housing unit, so that if and when oil gets into the housing past the governor, it can simply drain out the bottom before traveling along the drive shaft? Will this work and have any of you done this?