This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Refurbishing a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
alboe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21660

Refurbishing a Cub

Postby alboe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:13 am

Anyone around Maryland know a reputable refurbishing company/person? I have seen a couple of good ones, one I believe in Maine.

Also, I guess some do it themselves but when I see they say something to the effect of brushing it on; The individual is doing it themselves? They are literally brushing it on AND the result is smooth almost professional looking?? If so......they are prepping themselves?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Refurbishing a Cub

Postby pickerandsinger » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:43 am

I assume you are talking about painting...Some choose to do their own and brush the running gear and spray the " tin "...Windy Hill Restoration affiliated with TM parts is who you are talking about in Maine...Rob in NH does excellent paint work...( Forum Member)...You might check with him.. ...If you are talking refurbishing the mechanical aspects of the tractor, well most I know do their own work...However Windy Hill also does that...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

It depends on what you want. Mine aren't show ponies, but I want them to look sharp...but sharp to me. A part of it is the prep. To me it also depends on how much you want to take it apart like remove the hood, coil, starter...getting access to the components sometimes dictates the method. I am new at this and I have sparayed, rattle can'ed and brushed....and I prefer brushing because of all the nooks and crannies and I just like doing it. I don't like spraying because I am not good at it yet.
But, it is all about what is good to you.

alboe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21660

Postby alboe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks guys. Like I said, this is all new to me, my first tractors. Unfortunately with work, (up to 88 hrs. a week), my girlfriend, my 6 yr. old boy, (and now Summertime for him), my 5 K9s, K9 training and updating the 1890s Farmhouse my time is limited, (I read the other day on the forum someone using my saying, lol; "Not enough hours in the day (or days in the week). In a perfect world I would love to run one and work on/refurbish the other by myself. Not sure if that's feasible. I don't need a show stopper just a pretty one for the farm. I could've bought a completely restored one. But I love old things and wanted the tractor and myself with my little boy to take this journey together..........

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:52 pm

I have the utmost respect for the guys who restore anything. I've been working with mine for about 8 years, I'm retired, have the space and tools to do most anything that needs to be done. I just always seem to lack enough time. Looking at your schedule, I suspect you will be short of time as well. The one thing you will not regret is the time and memories you will have with your son. So go for it, do what you can. You only live once. JMHO. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:19 pm

alboe wrote:Unfortunately with work, (up to 88 hrs. a week), my girlfriend, my 6 yr. old boy, (and now Summertime for him), my 5 K9s, K9 training and updating the 1890s Farmhouse, my time is limited.
Priortize your time. Spend your time on important things. Put everything else on the bottom of your to do list.

Actually, I have a to do list. Some things I can accomplish in a few minutes, several things I have been working on for months. Any way, I have a prioritized list that keeps changing.
I have an excuse. CRS.

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:59 am

alboe wrote:Thanks guys. Like I said, this is all new to me, my first tractors. Unfortunately with work, (up to 88 hrs. a week), my girlfriend, my 6 yr. old boy, (and now Summertime for him), my 5 K9s, K9 training and updating the 1890s Farmhouse my time is limited, (I read the other day on the forum someone using my saying, lol; "Not enough hours in the day (or days in the week). In a perfect world I would love to run one and work on/refurbish the other by myself. Not sure if that's feasible. I don't need a show stopper just a pretty one for the farm. I could've bought a completely restored one. But I love old things and wanted the tractor and myself with my little boy to take this journey together..........
They're never are enough hours in the week for individuals who take the time to experience life... :lol: ...Don't forget the Cub Fests if you need help working on your Cub...Remember Windy Hill Restoration/ TM Cub Parts is a forum sponsor and they will treat you right...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”