Hydraulic leak at pump lines

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jaybar12728
Zip Code: 21766

Hydraulic leak at pump lines

Postby Jaybar12728 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:06 pm

:help: Just bought a 73 Cub with a belly mower. Hydraulic fluid leaking (streaming out really)where the lines connect out of the pump. I've replaced the o-rings (twice) and still leaking. Is there a pressure releaf valve somewhere? Only thing I can think of is over pressure.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulic leak at pump lines

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:41 pm

It's fairly common for the lines to crack where they insert into the rectangular block. I'd clean and dry the area well and see if you can verify where the leak starts. A crack there can be brazed. There is a pressure relief valve in the block but I don't think it would cause your problem.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulic leak at pump lines

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:44 pm

It's quite common to have them leak there. I think vibration plus the muscling it takes to line them up when taking off and putting back on, works them loose where the line connect to the small block that bolts to the pump. The easiest and cheapest fix I have done is brazing or siver soldering around each tubing at that forward end. I have repaired 2 or 3 this way. Good luck!

Bob, you're too quick!