Tranny wont shift

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 000000
Circle of Safety: Y

Tranny wont shift

Postby Jackman » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:48 am

Tranny wont shift, I get 1st and reverse won't budge when trying 2nd or 3rd , took top off and its clean and healthy looking inside , shifted when parked 17 years ago :mrgreen: , any advice, what to check :?: the shifter it self is fine no issues there :?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Tranny wont shift

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 am

With the top off, check to make sure the slots in the two forks line up when it's in neutral. If the left fork is ahead of or behind the other you can take a small pry bar and slide it into alignment.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Are the forks loose? Is the 1st & rev fork cracked look closely.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:38 pm

A picture or two of the insides might help diagnose.

Did moisture get in there? A common problem, even if parked under cover. If so, lots of rotating and sliding parts that might seize up with a little rust?

What exactly happens/doesn't happen? If I understand your post correctly, you can shift into first and reverse both with no issue, but can't get it in to second or third.
Does that mean you can move the shifter to the right, but it then won't go forward or back into second or third?
Or does it mean that you can't even move the shifter to the right?
If the latter, there must be something misaligned with the LEFT shift fork, that the ball on the bottom of the shifter wont even move into the fork.
If the former, then the shift ball goes into the fork, but the fork won't slide fore and aft. Why not? Is the fork itself seized? Are the sliding spline gears that the fork is supposed to slide seized?
I would poke around in there and look for what should move that isn't moving.
Something seized with rust, a broken tooth or other detritus jamming something up.

If you are doing all of this while parked, and nothing has spun since you started this, it could just be that neither gear is aligned to allow the spline gear to engage. It would be pretty surprising that both gears would be misaligned at the same time, though.
I might jack the right rear tire just off the ground and have someone slowly spin that wheel by hand while I observed what did and didn't move inside the transmission as I tried to slide the left shift fork forward and back into second and third.

Edit: I have also heard mention that these transmissions can get into two gears at once, which locks everything up. I'm not sure exactly how that happens. I'm guessing that means both shift forks have moved forward (first and third) or back (reverse and second). If I have that right, it doesn't sound like your problem. If I don't, hopefully someone who has experienced that situation will weigh in.

Good luck!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi,
Here is a picture of how the transmission should look under the shifter cover. This is looking from the left side.
The 2 places where the shifter ball on the end of the shift lever goes, have to be aligned when the trans is in neutral. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 4.JPG

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:49 pm

I have seen a few from sitting that the gears will rust to the shaft from sitting where they are suppose to slide, a pry bar will tell you if they are sliding ok

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:52 am

Crimson Tim wrote:A picture or two of the insides might help diagnose.

Did moisture get in there? A common problem, even if parked under cover. If so, lots of rotating and sliding parts that might seize up with a little rust?

What exactly happens/doesn't happen? If I understand your post correctly, you can shift into first and reverse both with no issue, but can't get it in to second or third.
Does that mean you can move the shifter to the right, but it then won't go forward or back into second or third?
Or does it mean that you can't even move the shifter to the right?
If the latter, there must be something misaligned with the LEFT shift fork, that the ball on the bottom of the shifter wont even move into the fork.
If the former, then the shift ball goes into the fork, but the fork won't slide fore and aft. Why not? Is the fork itself seized? Are the sliding spline gears that the fork is supposed to slide seized?
I would poke around in there and look for what should move that isn't moving.
Something seized with rust, a broken tooth or other detritus jamming something up.

If you are doing all of this while parked, and nothing has spun since you started this, it could just be that neither gear is aligned to allow the spline gear to engage. It would be pretty surprising that both gears would be misaligned at the same time, though.
I might jack the right rear tire just off the ground and have someone slowly spin that wheel by hand while I observed what did and didn't move inside the transmission as I tried to slide the left shift fork forward and back into second and third.

Edit: I have also heard mention that these transmissions can get into two gears at once, which locks everything up. I'm not sure exactly how that happens. I'm guessing that means both shift forks have moved forward (first and third) or back (reverse and second). If I have that right, it doesn't sound like your problem. If I don't, hopefully someone who has experienced that situation will weigh in.

Good luck!

I can't post pics yet due to the photobucket changes , but my tranny looks exactly like what Glen posted (clean and in alignment) . My shifter will move over to the 2 and 3 position but the shifter will not slide up to 2 or down to 3 , I think I should jacket up later and rock it in gear and see if it frees it's self, maybe just a dab of rust from the long down time , Ihope anyway tranny had no previous issues . thanks all I'll see later tonight what it will do :D

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:31 am

Ok, so either the fork won't slide or the gears it engages with won't slide. As tst said, probably just a bit of rust binding up the sliding action. You can probably free that up easily enough working gently with a pry bar.

Some PB Blaster would probably help, but it would be better not to leave that in there. After you get it freed up, drain the transmission, fill with kerosene, drive around for a few minutes, then drain and fill with hytran or transmission gear oil according to your owner's manual.
In fact, flushing and refilling the transmission is a good idea even if you don't introduce PB Blaster in there. Surely, it's due for fresh!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:13 pm

There should be a little wiggle room between the fork and the 2-3 slider. A little gentle prying on the gear should tell you if the gear is stuck or the fork is stuck. Then work on the problem area without messing up the part that is OK!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:33 am

Took ya'lls advice and now she shifts :D , long prybar and a few heavey hammer taps and it shifted , it was stuck pretty hard too I was really hitting it hard before it moved, 17 years is a long time to sit but oddly enough it looks really clean and shinny in there :D , next I fill the finals and take it for a spin :tractor: