International cub help maybe

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
skindaddy
Zip Code: 49201

International cub help maybe

Postby skindaddy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 pm

newbie here 1st post!! not sure if this is against the law here being not a "farmall" cub, but i am i need of some desperate help with an international cub? let me know if its cool, and i will continue on :beer:

47fivewindow
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21035
Tractors Owned: 65 cub, 56 loboy, 53 super c, 72 574, 73 Ford 2000, 40 9N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: International cub help maybe

Postby 47fivewindow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 pm

same thing, ask away

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 am

Welcome to the Forum.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Postby k hutchins » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:39 am

Welcome, we're here to help
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:51 am

Please post pictures.......we would love to see what you've got and it would help when answering questions.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

skindaddy

Postby skindaddy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 am

thanks guys, read quite a bit here over the years. will try for pics,year is 1976
well i actually have a few problems so i'll start somewhere. first off i'm no mechanic but im pretty familar with this tractor. just put back together from fixing broken shaft from gear box to clutch,fixed pto,numerous gasket, etc.
problem 1. we have always had clutch problems and no matter what i've done carefully following any directions i can i can never pull off the finishing touches, neither can the international dealer we paid some big money to yrs back, after my last failure
i've watched some videos for pointers on steiners website and still no luck.
clutch thickness measures a hair under 5/16" thick total, height of face of flywheel where clutch touches is .0330" couldnt find specs on this, also its nice and smooth. set the clutch fingers to 7/8" per steiner video. i have the throwout bearing about 1/8" from fingers, this is hard cause it does not hang exactly vertical until it make contact with fingers (top touches first).
after all this i have only about maybe 1/8" adjustment left in the oval hole on the clutch pedal.looks like even if all parts were new this adjustment on pedal would still be near this ,which i dont get.
in video i seen the connecting rod to the throwout bearing in the torque tube is suppose to be adjustable, i believe mine is not, i cranked on it when removed from tractor will not budge and looks like its welded.
i have a problem with it running also which i will get into also,but the little it ran the gears will still grind some with clutch as is.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:25 pm

The consensus on the FORUM is adjust the fingers at 1 1/4 inches with the clutch and PP bolted in place, either before reconnecting the torque tube or after through the inspection hole. Steiner's may be different because of the thickness of the clutch disc. This has been posted on quite a bit, the search function should give you plenty of information.

skindaddy

Postby skindaddy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:20 pm

ok thanks, just wasnt sure that was my problem over the yrs i've adjusted the fingers from one end of the spectrum to the other and never seem to fully fix problem. will do some more searching,
just dont see how there can be so different specs.
also i am finding a couple of point tolerances in web search versus original manual.
going to check with the majority here upon search.

i admit didnt do enough reasearch on here after, getting ticked off after finding out i failed again on reassembly.
Last edited by skindaddy on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skindaddy

Postby skindaddy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:21 pm

problem 2
upon tear down -we took carb apart- no new parts yet and cleaned.
put in new points,rotor, and cap.
i ran it a little, it will not run without being fully choked and still surges and eventually stalls. of course not thinking trying to fix everything while it was apart, now i dont know if its distributor or carb. i dont see much in my 2 manuals about carb adjustment just the idle screw on top with spring, i tried 3/4 turn out after tight like manual and everything in between to no help.
i am trying to find which carb i have to get a rebuild kit ordered, we actually have 2 carbs we put a new one on after a family friend completely rebuilt motor for us about 10yrs ago. and prob not 100 hrs on it since

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm

post pictures. If it is the IH Cub (longstripe), it should have the larger Zenith Carburetor. PM Sent.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor:

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Hi,
If the pressure plate fingers are set too low, the clutch may not release, because the throwout bearing is not pushing the fingers far enough.
The experts on here recommend that the finger height be 1 1/4 inch, when the clutch is assembled on the flywheel.
Below is a pic of where to measure between.
The next pic is a new throwout bearing, the material sticks out 5/16 inch from the metal. If your throwout bearing is worn down, it might not release the clutch correctly.

The first Cubs had an adjustable rod inside the clutch housing on the clutch linkage. They changed the clutch adjustment method in 1948, and quit using the threaded rod. Since 1948 they have been the solid rod, with a yoke on each end.
Here are pics of it from TM Tractor, and it shows the serial number there when they changed.

http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gcl/rod2_001.htm

Below are pics of the IH and Zenith carburetors, from TM Tractor.
The 1st carb is the IH, the others are Zenith. A 1976 Cub should have originally had the Zenith carb.
If it won't run right, the main jet might need cleaning. It is under the plug in the last pic, at the bottom rear of the carb.
The fuel strainer might need cleaning, so there is a good fuel flow to the carb. There is a screen in it, above the gasket, it can be cleaned or replaced. TM Tractor has them.
It is easier to clean the strainer by having the Touch Control arms in the rear position, before beginning work on the strainer.
You could try opening the idle mixture screw more, on top of the carb, and see if it works better, up to 1 1/2 turn. :)
Attachments
Cub clutch 3.jpg
Cub.jpg
Cub carb 8.jpg
Cub carb Z 2.jpg
Cub carb Z.jpg
Cub carb Z.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Last edited by Glen on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crimson Tim
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George will follow in a few weeks.

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Only running when choked is often a sign of insufficient fuel supply. This is often from some junk crudding up some part of the fuel line between the tank and the carb or blocking the main jet. Is your fuel tank clean? Any rust in there? It doesn't take much to cause headaches.
Check all parts of the fuel line, especially the strainer under the tank, any inline filter that may be present, the screen at the carb inlet and the main jet. If you do have an inline filter, make sure it's for a gravity feed system.

skindaddy

Postby skindaddy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:44 am

guys thanks a bunch for the answers and pics looks like i'm doing things right on the clutch, except i need to get in there and set to 1 1/4" instead of where i'm at. i hope this does the trick. all good with the throwout bearing .
will check and re clean carb, fuel strainer is clean.
fuel tank is clean also

skindaddy

Postby skindaddy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:11 am

1st pic i swear it does not say zenith on it but will dbl check seems like it was cursive carter maybe?
2nd pic old carb
Attachments
cub3.JPG
cub.JPG
Last edited by skindaddy on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

skindaddy

Postby skindaddy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:12 am

its rough, but heck of a worker
Attachments
cub2.JPG
cub1.JPG