New to the Site!

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New to the Site!

Postby Glen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi,
A used tractor usually needs a tune up, like cars, and other repair work so it will run good.
Cubs have ignition points, similar to what cars had in the past.
The ignition points and condenser have to be good so it will run right. The points burn during use. Old burned points make it start or run bad.
The spark plugs fouled can make it run bad.
The ignition timing has to be set right, so it will have power. You need a timing light to set the timing.
The owner's manual that I posted on page 1 of this post tells about replacing the points, starting on page 30, on the right side of the page. You need a really short screwdriver, and probably an 11/32" open end wrench to change the points.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-30.jpg

Here are new points and condenser at TM Tractor if you want to see them.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Roshambo wrote:Damn I'm in a good spot! I didn't know lol. Ok good... really I have to come to complete stop even before shifting to 3rd gear?
You might get away with shifting from 2nd to 3rd sometimes if the PTO is not turning.
Roshambo wrote:Oops forgot to ask how do I correct compression?
If the rings are stuck, running the engine with something like SEAFOAM in the oil and fuel might free them over time. If it's valves/seats also, adjustment may help but if it's wear (eroded metal) they have to be resurfaced or replaced. If the rings or cylinders are worn then it's time for a teardown and complete rebuild, (check and correct to specs the crankshaft, cylinders, valves, seats, head, etc).

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 20197
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Harvester Cub

Postby Roshambo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks much y'all! I bought a tune up kit at tractor supply. Just need to find a wrench that will fit old spark plugs. Father in law is going to help me with that in the fall. Will run it as it is now unless something nasty starts happening.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Roshambo wrote:Ok good... really I have to come to complete stop even before shifting to 3rd gear?

Before shifting into ANY gear.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:19 am

Y'all I don't see instructions for disassembling the air cleaner in the manual. I can take the top off and the cup but any guidance on how to remove the cover and screen so I can clean it good?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 am

The air cleaner isn't really designed for any more disassembly. Most guys simply rinse the mesh with solvent or submerge the whole thing in solvent. Sloshing it up and down can help. If you want to disassemble it to remove the mesh, it requires some tin-work. There probably is a past thread where someone describes the way he did it. You may need to search for it.

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 am

Can I spray a hose up in it?

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:47 am

Also. The only fluids I've been able to change are engine oil, air filter oil, transmission oil.

I keep reading about oil cups accessible through the hood. I see the holes but no cups. And I'm not sure what else I need to oil. I have a neat old oil can that will work.

I reference the diagram in the manual for instance on the pulley system but can't find drain holes, etc.

Also I can't budge the tranny oil drain plug. Feeling like i need to use vice grips and a torch.

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Fan pulley has a set screw. It functions as both fill and drain. Read instructions to avoid over filling. ( Add oil with hole at 9 oclock facing towards you,then turn hole down to drain excess ,then turn to where you can replace screw.)

The oil cups below the holes in hood are way down ...dang near a couple feet. What those cups feed don't need lots of oiling ,but again ,operator instructions go far in helping know.
I prefer to oil below those two holes in hood ( rarely) when hood is off and then use a syringe for a couple drops.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi,
The instructions for oiling the fan hub, and cleaning the air cleaner are on pages 24 and 25 of the 1975 Cub owner's manual.
The screw shown in the fan hub pic is on the side of the hub, between the fan and the fan belt, you have to turn the fan until the screw is visible, on the right side.
If there is no screw, the fan hub might have been replaced with one that has sealed bearings. I have read on here that there is that type.

The air cleaner is usually removed from the tractor, and washed out, like it says in the manual.

Use a light and look up under the hood, the generator oil cups are at the ends of the generator. They are small, there is a cap on them that is spring loaded, the cap opens.
If there are no oil cups, they might have eliminated them, or someone could have put an alternator on your Cub, but it looks like it has a voltage regulator on the side, in your pic on page 1 of this post. Many alternators do not have an external regulator. :)

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:07 am

Thanks again y'all! Another question. There's a zerk on the back of the machine connected to the pto pulley system. I hooked up grease gun and kept pumping waiting to see some grease come out but nothing after prolly 10 pumps. Maybe more..

Should I be seeing some grease come out or should I stop greasing lol

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 am

If that zerk enters near the rear of the pto shaft it is for the bearing inside where you can not see it with everything buttoned up.
2- 3 pumps when greasing regular is usually plenty on most zerks.

My brush hog spindle can take a few to several but that is not common for other items.

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Thank you. Another question I bought a compression gauge. Do I just need to screw it into the spark plug hole, turn off fuel and crank engine to read it?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Excess grease into the PTO zerk goes into the transmission case.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:12 am

Don McCombs wrote:Excess grease into the PTO zerk goes into the transmission case.

Will that hurt anything?