VERY CONFUSED

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
extremewhitetail
Zip Code: 65610
Tractors Owned: 1964 International Cub, 1965 International Cub
1951 x 2 Super C, 1947 John Deere M

VERY CONFUSED

Postby extremewhitetail » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Hey Fellows,
I have a few questions about my 1965 International Cub. I just put new bearings in due to a knock when the tractor would warm up. We'll the knock is gone but now when I test drove it on the highway here by the house (in third gear with full throttle) it has a slight miss or sputter. I checked the pistons when I had it tore down and everything looked great and spec out fine. The compression in all four cylinders are reading 65. The tractor has plenty of power for what it is. I went ahead and tuned it up with new wires, plugs and gaskets. Oh and the tractor surges but then works itself out. Looking for some wisdom and advise please.

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: VERY CONFUSED

Postby Crimson Tim » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Others will weigh in on your more specific symptoms very shortly, I am sure. However, what jumped out at me from this was your compression numbers. Ideally, you'd like them to be around 110. From what I have seen around here, it seems like people are starting to think about rebuilds when the compression numbers drop below 90 or so. I think I've seen mention that when it gets as low as 50, it pretty much no longer has enough power to overcome its own friction and therefore won't run worth a darn.
Therefore, I'd ask if you are sure of that 65, and suggest maybe you take another set of compression readings to see if they are really that bad. Maybe use a different gauge to rule a bad gauge out. If you do take another set, take them dry and then take them wet to get more diagnostic information out of the exercise.
Good luck!

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 am

Hi,
You didn't say if you replaced the ignition points and condenser, the points have to be good for it to start and run good. Dirty or burned points can make it run bad.
The timing should be checked with a timing light, to be sure it is right.
Here is a listing at TM Tractor, if you want to see the points and condenser. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

Below are pages from the 1965 Cub owner's manual telling about the points and condenser.
It starts on the right side of the 1st page.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-30.jpg

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-31.jpg

extremewhitetail
Zip Code: 65610
Tractors Owned: 1964 International Cub, 1965 International Cub
1951 x 2 Super C, 1947 John Deere M

Postby extremewhitetail » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 am

I absolutely love being part of a forum where people genuinely want to help. The world is getting pretty scary nowadays and seems like everyone is out for themselves. Thanks to EVERYONE who helps each other out not expecting something in return and thanks to all for helping me too. You all are great!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:16 am

As Tim stated, your compression numbers look really low. Try the dry then wet compression test and reply back with your readings. If your bores, pistons and rings are all good, improper valve adjustment possibility is causing the low numbers.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Crimson Tim
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 32736
Tractors Owned: The crew:
"John", 1952 Cub
"Paul", 1951 Cub
"George", 1958 LoBoy Cub with Wagner 45 Loader
"Ringo", 1977 Cub

So far, Paul and Ringo have arrived. John and George were supposed to follow ages ago, but apparently have gone awol. Long story.

Postby Crimson Tim » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 am

I think it likely your gauge is off.

extremewhitetail wrote:The compression in all four cylinders are reading 65. The tractor has plenty of power...

These are two thoughts I never would have thought would go together. I would think it would be pretty difficult to get a tractor moving in third with numbers that low without a downhill slope for a head start.

ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 pm

New plugs? I run autolite 3116 in both cubs. As far as power....i have not seen a paved county road that a cub would not pull in third gear.
Now...pulling a trailer is a different story.