This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

OIL IN THE DISTRIBUTOR

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmall Dave
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 92870

OIL IN THE DISTRIBUTOR

Postby Farmall Dave » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:34 am

Oil keeps getting into the distributor on my 1958 Cub. When I removed the entire drive unit - distributor and drive housing - lots of oil came out of the drive housing unit. I was told by an IH Case person that the "O" ring on the distributor drive shaft should be replaced. I've also been told that such will not solve the problem. I have now replaced the "O" ring, but short of attempting to replace the oil seal on the actual governor, would it be possible for me to drill a hole in the bottom of the distributor drive housing unit so that when oil gets in there from the governor, it will simply drain out?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: OIL IN THE DISTRIBUTOR

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 am

Replace the seal in the block between the governor and the distributor drive. Not a major undertaking.

No need to drill a hole in the bottom of the distributor drive housing to drain the oil.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Is this a different distributor than the one in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97245
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi,
That is the same one, Don.
His Cub is far away from where he lives, and he doesn't have much time to work on it when he is there where it is. He wondered if he can use it with the seal leaking, I think is what he is asking, I guess he will say if I'm not understanding it right. :)

Farmall Dave
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Farmall Dave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 am

Yes, you are right. This is the same distributor as I wrote about in the original thread. I have rebuilt the distributor and will be returning to the farm back east in October. I just want to have all the information needed to solve this problem. Eugene, you said that replacing the seal is not a major under taking. I presume you have done this. Any advice you can send my way would be extremely helpful. I am fairly knowledgeable about this tractor stuff having done two ground up restorations (1936 JD "B" and 1941 JD "LA"). Thanks for your help.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi,
Below is a pic of the drive, with the oil seal around the drive. You can remove the governor and drive out the old seal, or remove the seal by pulling it somehow. The guys on here do it either way.
I have changed them before, I removed the governor. The governor gear has to be turned correctly when put in again.
Here is a listing at TM Tractor for the seal. :)

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/gv/436fp.htm
Attachments
Cub gov gear.jpg

Farmall Dave
5+ Years
5+ Years

Removing the governor oil seal

Postby Farmall Dave » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:32 pm

How can the governor oil seal be removed without removing the entire governor? I don't want to have to mess around with re-timing the governor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:39 pm

No need to remove the governor. I just did one last week. I used a seal puller after removing the sealing material with needle nose pliers. I was a simple process. Getting the new seal to the proper depth can be a challenge if you do not have the tool to do it, however, this is a clever and functional one that you can make yourself:
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=94808 Remember that the 23/32 measurement is important.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Hi,
That is a good tool in the post Bill, but how can it work with the governor gear still in place.
The drive sticks through the seal some, the seal has to go in farther than the drive would let it using that tool.
Also I've read on here that the new oil seals are thinner than the old seals were, so the distance to install the new seal is different than the 23/32", but not sure, the post was months ago.
Also Farmall Dave, be sure the seal lip faces ahead, and that the lip does not turn backwards as you install the new seal. Oil the seal rubber before putting it in. :)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Glen,

I don't recall (not surprising given my memory) the drive standing proud of the seal. However, I'm fairly confident that Raymond would not have posted the tool if it did not work properly. I have a machined steel tool that fits the perimeter of the seal so interference with the drive is not a concern. As for the change in seal thickness, I've installed several seals with the tool I have and leakage has not been a problem. I'm sure others will be along soon to shed more light on the subject.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”