Ticking sound in transmission

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
69ranger
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.

Ticking sound in transmission

Postby 69ranger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I posted, but I have lurked quite a bit, and kind of kept up. It seems my tractor hobby has kind of taken a back seat to more pressing things the last couple years.
Anyway... I was hoping someone might shed some light on a recent noise that came up while mowing with my Cub last night. I noticed a sound that sounds like a ticking from the transmission area. It's not very loud, and only seems to do it when the trans, and PTO is in neutral and the clutch is out. It stops when the clutch is pressed in. Also there is a slight bearing noise in the PTO area when engaged. I greased the zert on the PTO bearing, and the bearing noise is better but still there. I was wondering what to check first? Any ideas?

A little history that night help>>>>>>
The tractor is pretty nice over all, and has not been stored out side, Nice and quiet in the gears when driven, it has plenty of oil in the Trans, ect.
It's a very original tractor that seems to have had good care taken of it, before I purchased it several years ago. Since I took over it's care, I have kept it up well, and stored it inside. I use it regularly, and it probably mows 40 to 50 hours each year. I use it for finish mowing, so no real abuse.
I would say that this tractor has spent most of it's life running the Woods 42 inch mower, and that's probably not been real good for the PTO and transmission.
Well anyway, sorry to ramble on, and thanks in advance for any ideas of what might be going on inside this thing.
Brad

Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Ticking sound in transmission

Postby Shane Nelson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

My guess is a bearing on the PTO shaft, it stops when you press the clutch in because that stops the shaft from spinning inside the transmission. Spinning the mower through the years has taken it's toll on those moving parts.
God is good, all the time!
Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Does the sound come/go based on whether the PTO shaft itself is turning or does it remain any time the clutch is out? If comes/goes it is probably the bearing at the grease fitting (or outside chance of something funny at the PTO engaging parts). Otherwise, it could be either of the bearings at the front/rear of the transmission. You might want to take the top cover off the transmission and see what you can of those bearings. If you have never had it off, it is worthwhile to take the cover off and make sure the passages that oil the bearings are clear. Since noises can be deceptive as to where they come from, the clutch is another possibility. The clutch throwout bearing can pivot on the yoke. If yours has decided to start doing that, the bearing could move far enough out of position for a clutch finger to repeatedly tap it. Try pressing the clutch pedal just enough to take up the free play but not enough to disengage the clutch. If that makes the noise stop, the source is in the clutch.

69ranger
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1946 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall M, 1956 IH 130, 1979 IH 140, 1959 Farmall 240.
Several Brand X Green tractors that sound strange when they run.

Postby 69ranger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:22 pm

Thank you both for the fast response and your wisdom.
The ticking sound seems to be un-effected by the PTO engagement. I first noticed it a month or so ago when I got off, for a moment, and left the tractor running. It’s just a very slight tick, (much more subtle than the pressure plate fingers hitting the throw-out bearing), and it quits as soon as the clutch is pressed down. I might mention that I replaced the clutch, and the throw-out bearing with new I-H parts about 3 years ago. I also set the Pressure plate fingers to the proper height, Per the manual, (1 1/8th inches if I remember right), and evened them with a dial indicator. Cleaned up the bell housing and made sure the linkage was in good working order. I ended up with a really nice smooth clutch.
The PTO noise is a new thing, as of last night’s mowing, and truly sounds like a rough bearing. Since it did get better when I greased it, a bearing is suspect. So possibly I have two different problems?
I guess I will take the top off as you mentioned, and look things over. The passages you mentioned have me a bit lost. I understand their purpose, but I have never seen the inside before, so are these easy to spot, and to tell if they are clogged up? I have used the manual section of the forum in the past, so I will study that section and see if I can get an understanding of the lay out. I hope the trans bearings are not failing, as that sounds like a real chore to change them.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi,
Below is a pic of under the gear shift cover, this is looking from the left side. You can see part of the oil trough and the small oil hole that goes down to the rear bearing on the right side of the pic. The front hole is not in the pic, it is at the left side of the pic.

If the holes are plugged, use a drill bit the size of the holes, just the drill bit, no electric drill, and turn it down into the hole, this will collect the goop and you can pull it out of the hole. You might have to go in a little at a time, and pull it out several times and clean the drill bit, so it will collect more goop. Turn it with pliers, or vise grip pliers by hand.

The bearings commonly wear after years of use, and some of them get noisy when running.
When you push the clutch pedal down, and the shaft stops turning, the noise stops. Usually they make a growling sound when worn.

I think I have read on here that the ticking sound can be a shifter fork touching on the shaft as it is running. Check the tightness of the 2 bolts in the pic that hold the shifter forks on. Use a light and see if any part of them is touching the shaft, they will turn slightly so they don't hit the shaft, if you loosen the bolt. Be sure the bolts are tight when done.
Check the forks to see if they are broken also. :)
Attachments
Cub trans 4.JPG