Mystery liquid

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ntrenn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mystery liquid

Postby ntrenn » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm

I have seen that picture before....but...wait...the tractor was yellow...

You are truly at a crossroads. You can bite the big bullet and do a complete major or you can dig deeper to see how bad things really are. On mine...my next step was to drop the pan and start unbolting rod caps. My number 4 was STUCK. All the rods bearings were fine. The mains were fine.

Once i got the pistons out...i only had stuck rings that were very worn. I pulled all the valves and had them resurfaced...lapped them in...and threw it back together with a fresh cylinder hone job and new rings. That was 5+ years ago.

I guess what i am saying is there is a middle ground that might work and give good service. I spent about 300 on parts including new head bolts. Tractor pulls a woods 59 just fine...

bofahs
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Postby bofahs » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Doesn't look like the gasket was doing a lot of "gasketing" on No. 3 cylinder - we can hope that's where the anti-freeze was getting in. Have you drained the crankcase? And was there antifreeze in the oil? If the tractor sat while the stuff drained through the engine, it's not unlikely to be the cause of the engine being locked up. I don't think you have a lot to lose at this point by breaking the engine free and seeing what's going on with those nasty valves. I mean, if rebuilding is on the table anyway, worst case - rebuild it. But you may not need to.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:44 am

When, and if you are ready to reassemble, run a thread die into each head bolt hole to clean the head bolt threads, and use pipe dope on the bolt threads, they screw into the water jacket in all but 2 or 3 of the holes.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!