This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trying to start her up after replacing spark plugs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Roshambo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 20197
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Harvester Cub

Trying to start her up after replacing spark plugs

Postby Roshambo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Think I know some of what's going on. Hooked up fresh battery after installing new plugs but ground wire is tore up, have to stretch it out to keep the tractor cranking otherwise just sparks at the battery and POS terminal gets hot.

Tractor started up and ran a bit but I got distracted trying to fix battery and it died and I can't start it again... fluid leaking from carb drain hole...

Tried 20 different settings on choke and throttle and can't get it to make one or two puffs like it's trying to start.

What do I need to do to get the girl going?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Trying to start her up after replacing spark plugs

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:36 pm

I would start with replacing the ground cable with a new one (make sure it's the proper gauge if 6V) and make sure all connections are clean, bright, and tight.

I wouldn't worry about "fluid leaking from the carb drain hole" it's gas and not unusual after repeated unsuccessful start attempts. Gas vapor sitting in the intake manifold condenses back into a liquid and runs out the hole. It's one of the reasons it's there (another is a sticking float).

After that, it's simple fuel and fire. Make sure you are getting enough fresh clean gas. Make sure you are getting a strong spark at the plugs. Since it ran and you haven't changed timing should be straightforward troubleshooting.

Return to “Farmall Cub”