TS Tune Up

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 20197
Tractors Owned: 1975 International Harvester Cub

TS Tune Up

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:03 pm

:tractor:

Howdy! I just replaced my points, condenser and rotor button with new stuff from TS...

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I installed the screw down point as far left as possible but there's still no gap... not sure I've got it positioned right to check the gap.

Any advice?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: TS Tune Up

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Do you have the center post turned to a lobe so the points would be open?
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
1949 for sale
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

exactly what I thought Bob. Make sure the wear block is setting on the high point of the lobe and set the points.

It is easier to do with the distributor out of the tractor.

Pull the engine up on top dead center on the # 1 cylinder before you remove the Distributor
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi,
The shaft that opens and closes the points has to be turned so the movable points rubbing block is exactly on the highest point of the cam, they call it. So you need to turn the engine until the movable point is on the highest part of the cam, then measure and set the gap at .020".
The pic in the owner's manual shows it in this position. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-30.jpg

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Hmm. Father in law told me his mechanic friend said i wouldn't need to turn anything over or make any adjustments to timing as long as I didn't mess with center but.

He told me to just replace the points, condenser and rotary button so that everything was in the same position as when I took it out. I guess it's not that easy?

Not sure exactly what y'all are saying to do and don't understand that part of the manual.. :(

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 pm

FYI. I started it up and holy crap. It sounds brand new.... running powerful and strong. Only issue is I can't reduce the throttle much. I don't see the throttle rod touching the throttle stop screw at all. I can't even push it closed with my fingers...

What's that mean and do I still need to adjust point gap as I just replaced everything as I found it in there...

Waif
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"

Postby Waif » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Roshambo wrote:Hmm. Father in law told me his mechanic friend said i wouldn't need to turn anything over or make any adjustments to timing as long as I didn't mess with center but.

He told me to just replace the points, condenser and rotary button so that everything was in the same position as when I took it out. I guess it's not that easy?

Not sure exactly what y'all are saying to do and don't understand that part of the manual.. :(

Your ignition points are a switch kinda. They open and close like you tapping two fingers together repeatedly.
What causes the points to open and close is an allmost egg shaped cam. ( A shaft that is not round ,but has a high spot when viewed from end.)
When the shaft / cam rotates, the point arm that rides on it rises and falls as high and low spots rub it in turn.

When the lobe is in a certain position , point gap can be adjusted to a common specification. With everyone using the same position to start when setting point gap ,consistency is accurate. Points are better synced to the whole system (s) they are part of.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29681

Postby Rick Spivey » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Your throttle issue sounds like your linkage from governor to carb is not adjusted correctly. Put throttle ar midway position, (tractor off), undo the linkage at front of engine on carburetor side, push carb throttle all the way open. Linkage needs to be adjusted so clevis pin lines up with hole with everything in the positions just described. You will likely have to turn the clevis in to get to the correct position, then connect everything back up. Check idle, use idle adjust screw to set higher or lower, assuming it now touches.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Rick Spivey wrote:Your throttle issue sounds like your linkage from governor to carb is not adjusted correctly. Put throttle ar midway position, (tractor off), undo the linkage at front of engine on carburetor side, push carb throttle all the way open. Linkage needs to be adjusted so clevis pin lines up with hole with everything in the positions just described. You will likely have to turn the clevis in to get to the correct position, then connect everything back up. Check idle, use idle adjust screw to set higher or lower, assuming it now touches.

Well that's the thing. I spent all morning adjusting linkage and when engine is off it opens and closes with no problem, just like it should. Problem is when it turns on it appears as though it's full open, though I can make it accelerate a bit more when advancing throttle. I just can't close that damn gate on the carb. Not even with my fingers.

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Also should I not worry about gaps on distributor since it's starting right up and running well?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi,
The engine has to be turned so the movable point, the one on the right in the manual pic, is pushed as far to the right as it goes, by the turning cam, the part with 4 sides.
You have to turn the engine with the fan, if it will turn using the fan, so the points are open, then set the gap.
The person is not right, saying that you don't have to turn anything. The engine will not get out of time turning it with the distributor cap off.

Does your throttle lever move freely using all the notches except for about 2 at each end of the quadrant. It should use most of the notches.

There is an idle speed adjustment screw on the side of the carb closest to the engine, it is at the top of the carb, on the shaft where the little rod connects on from the governor. The screw head is near the rod connection.
You can move that rod when the engine is running, by hand, and see if the engine will slow down.
It is the info on the right side of the page that I posted above that you would use, the left side is another type of ignition, a magneto. :)

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:10 pm

Sounds like you might enjoy a minifest with some of the forum members who are nearby. :)

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks Glen, as always! I'm gonna continue to troubleshoot. Yeah I have full free movement on my linkage. As I say everything works perfect when engine is off linkage opens and closes the carb. Just not when it's going. I think I may know what's wrong. I think maybe the carb is missing a needle and it's pushing all that fuel up. Gonna check it. Also gonna check on that idle screw.

Would love to meet folks nearby! Let me know..

Roshambo
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby Roshambo » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:57 pm

Also, I'm putting off white smoke.. is it from the oil accident with the filter just burning off?

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Glen » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi,
Read my post above, I added more to it, it might have been since you were on here.

You should check the ignition timing with a timing light as part of a tune up, after the points are set to the right gap.
You don't know if the timing was right when you bought it, or how long since it was checked.
The timing has to be right for it to run good. :)