This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wrist pin internal snap ring

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Wrist pin internal snap ring

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:57 am

What is the trick to putting the snap rings in that retain the piston wrist pin? These snap rings are round wire and generally G shaped.

Or do I go to the auto parts store and purchase snap rings that fit my snap ring pliers?

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:13 pm

Eugene
You have a duckbill plier? Just a needle nose will do if you don't. Grab the middle tang,put the end in the groove, twist counter clock?I quess? Keep trying and don't give up.You will get it! By the time you do the last one you will be a pro.(unlike spackling wall Board,I can not do that.In fact I hate that.I end up sanding and sanding).....................
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:36 am

RedNed:

I can drywall with the best. I spent the evening - at work - thinking about the problem. I tried you advise with a set of needle nosed vicegrips. May be we could swap jobs some time.

These snap rings have only one tang. The tang is at less than a 90 degree angle to the circumfrence. This is one tough spring. It's not often I give up. 18 cents each for internal snap rings that fit my snap ring pliers.

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:47 am

Pull with a twisting motion and they'll come right out. Depending on which direction they are installed (it can be either way), twist in the direction that pulls on the spring rather than pushes.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:48 am

George:

I was trying to install those buggers - that is one tough spring - couldn't get them to flex in any direction. I even went to the autoparts store and consulted a very experienced parts man/mechanic. He couldn't get them in either. The snap rings came with the NOS block.

I finally purchased standard snap rings. I had to double (put two snap rings on) up on each side to get the thickness of the original snap ring.

Eugene

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:52 pm

Eugene
I guess those snap rings are not made in China. :lol: Sounds good about the retaining rings you used.Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.As far as spackling,since your from the show me state.I'll sit back and say "Show Me".By the way did you see any 7 dwarfs,because I know where SnowWhite is. I hate this.Wife says "No playing with tractors until the downstairs is done"......... :cry:

1957 IH350u

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:05 am

Our (wife's) house is 116 years old. We have been working on the house since we purchased it 7 years ago. Still have the kitchen to do. Metal replacement roof is just about complete. Old metal roof was about 80 years old. I will be 140 and some years old before I have to replace the roof again. Wife said I couldn't buy any more tractors or tractor parts until the roof is paid for.

Snow White - no. But I visit Frankenstein frequently. Frankenstein is just down the road. Not much there just a Catholic grade school and church.

Still thinking about those snap rings. I think if I had put the piston in a vise I could have gotten enough leverage to install the snap rings.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:40 am

Eugene, the thing I worry about with the standard snap rings in your enge is if they will take the heat and abuse. If one loses tension or breaks it could be pretty bad on the cylinder wall.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:46 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Eugene, the thing I worry about with the standard snap rings in your enge is if they will take the heat and abuse. If one loses tension or breaks it could be pretty bad on the cylinder wall.

I agree with Bigdog!!!!!!!!
I don't know about a c60 eng. But if it is still up to dads in the junk metal pile I will post a pic of what a snap ring that does not belong as you have done will to to the sleeve of a motor of a Allischalmers D17 tractor not good not cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Messed up the sleeve the piston the rod & the crank, the oil pump got a hold of a peice totaled it.
I rebiult the whole thing from scratch for the gent as his backyard man would not do it the 2nd time after he messed up the first time.

PS: if you had to use 2 take them out for sure as they are so thin they will break for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:31 pm

Not sure if me or bigdog shoul fell insulted. LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:02 pm

Good points,John and Dale.Eugene can you put the piston in vise for leverage? One that has Aluminum or brass jaws.Put the right one's in. Dale were talking bout a engine that red lines @1800.How much time was on the D-17 engine?Most likely it was installed incorrectly.As long as it's steel and fits in the groove.(seated)Stops the pin from sliding out.It ain't goin no where...............It will not, I repeat, will not lose tension. Just felt like venting :lol: :lol: just my 2 cents. I would use 5 snatch rings if they fit in the groove.

1957 IH350u

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:21 am

The block is sitting in the basement. Being assemble slowly as parts come in. Pistons have not been installed. Honed #4 cylinder to fit the piston.

Put a piston in a vise this morning and tried to install the OEM snap ring. Used needle nosed vise grips to grip the single tang. Still can't get the snap ring to twist into place.

Overhauled numerous engines, removed and installed thousands of snap rings of various styles. Never had this problem before. Still need to order additional parts. Will try Case/IH to see if they have snap rings that fit.

As far as the standard style internal snap rings. It takes exactly 2 (miced them) to fit the slot. They only keep the wristpin from working out.

The saga continues.

Eugene

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:39 am

How much time was on the D-17 engine?Most likely it was installed incorrectly.As long as it's steel and fits in the groove.(seated)

How do you put a square edged snap ring in a round bottomed grove?????????????????????????????? Let a lone 2 of them?????????????

Hours ? don't know as for days about 3 months working 3 to 5 days a week 6 to 8 hours a day give or take as weather permitted.

Out of 4 cyl. this was the only one with a snap ring. go figure.

Not trying to start a fight just relaying what I have seen with my own eyes!
Last edited by Dale51 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:41 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Not sure if me or bigdog shoul fell insulted. LOL

John,Bigdog,
Very sorry no insult intended just not paying attention.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:16 pm

Chickened out. Finally found the correct sized round snap ring with a double tang. New Holland dealer had them in stock. $1.17 each.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”