This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Running fine then nothing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Running fine then nothing

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 am

Matt, the spraying of the fuel, or starting fluid, bypasses the workings of the carb, and puts the flammable mixture into the cylinders. You could drive a tractor back to the shop, when out of gas, by having someone walk alongside, and spray gas or starting fluid, (or propane), into the air intake, as you drive along. Engine will run fine, on an empty fuel tank.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Matt, the spraying of the fuel, or starting fluid, bypasses the workings of the carb, and puts the flammable mixture into the cylinders. You could drive a tractor back to the shop, when out of gas, by having someone walk alongside, and spray gas or starting fluid, (or propane), into the air intake, as you drive along. Engine will run fine, on an empty fuel tank.
Ed

My dad and I did this once with an F600 dump truck we bought. He sat under the hood and sprayed it while I drove it up on the trailer. I would advise against this, lol. Last time I saw that dump truck a crane had it in the air about 20' headed for the crusher, we doubled our money.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Chipmaker wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:Matt, the spraying of the fuel, or starting fluid, bypasses the workings of the carb, and puts the flammable mixture into the cylinders. You could drive a tractor back to the shop, when out of gas, by having someone walk alongside, and spray gas or starting fluid, (or propane), into the air intake, as you drive along. Engine will run fine, on an empty fuel tank.
Ed

My dad and I did this once with an F600 dump truck we bought. He sat under the hood and sprayed it while I drove it up on the trailer. I would advise against this, lol. Last time I saw that dump truck a crane had it in the air about 20' headed for the crusher, we doubled our money.
......Fuel pump went on an Old Desoto my neighbor had as a field car ...He sat on the fender pouring gasoline out of a gallon jug while I maneuvered it back to his house....Worked good till it backfired...( We were both about 12 or so )....Luckily all it did was blow him off the fender...Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:
Ed

......Fuel pump went on an Old Desoto my neighbor had as a field car ...He sat on the fender pouring gasoline out of a gallon jug while I maneuvered it back to his house....Worked good till it backfired...( We were both about 12 or so )....Luckily all it did was blow him off the fender...Dave

I recently saw a motor home burn to the ground because of carb backfireage, not cool. The guy who owned it is a retired fireman. He hit it with an extinguisher but it wasn't enough. Took the F.D. 7 minutes to get there.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:......when out of gas, by having someone walk alongside, and spray gas or starting fluid, (or propane), into the air intake, as you drive along.

This puts a lot of force on the engine components, I've known it to break the pistons....

He sat under the hood and sprayed it while I drove it up on the trailer. I would advise against this, lol.

My experience....I was not so lucky.

...He sat on the fender pouring gasoline out of a gallon jug while I maneuvered it back to his house....Worked good till it backfired... Luckily all it did was blow him off the fender...

In my case I sustained second and third degree burns to my hand and arm from the spilled gasoline that ignited when the engine backfired. I learned that the best way to pour gasoline into an engine is from a very limited volume spill proof container. That way it minimizes the chance of a fire.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm

I don't pour gas, in. Either mist it with a windex type bottle, use carb cleaner or starting fluid, or an unlit propane torch.
Ed
Circle of Safety

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:58 pm

:shock:
All of this sounds pretty insane.
You guys ever hear of a tow strap?

Mike
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I was only trying to point out that the fuel was bypassing the carb, when it is sprayed into the air intake, that it was not the same as choking, as Matt said. I've tested a number of non runners, this way, to be sure they don't smoke or knock, when the carb was full of varnish.
Ed
Circle of Safety

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Lt.Mike wrote::shock:
All of this sounds pretty insane.
You guys ever hear of a tow strap?

Mike

That could work. Unless towing with the tractor.
Hard to feed the strap into the carb from the operators station while moving though. :lol:

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 am

staninlowerAL wrote:
pickerandsinger wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:This puts a lot of force on the engine components, I've known it to break the pistons....

He sat under the hood and sprayed it while I drove it up on the trailer. I would advise against this, lol.

My experience....I was not so lucky.

...He sat on the fender pouring gasoline out of a gallon jug while I maneuvered it back to his house....Worked good till it backfired... Luckily all it did was blow him off the fender...

In my case I sustained second and third degree burns to my hand and arm from the spilled gasoline that ignited when the engine backfired. I learned that the best way to pour gasoline into an engine is from a very limited volume spill proof container. That way it minimizes the chance of a fire.
.... :lol: :lol: We were about 12 at the time...I don't recall ever doing that again...We did not have the benefit of guidance... :lol: :lol: Dave....
In Memory of 58,286

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 am

I need to weigh in on this but I don't know where to start

Flammable and combustible liquids themselves do not burn. It is the mixture of their vapors and air that burns. Gasoline, with a flashpoint of -40°C (-40°F), is a flammable liquid. Even at temperatures as low as -40°C (-40°F), it gives off enough vapor to form a burnable mixture in air.
REF.Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety.

When you spray or pour gasoline into a carburetor you could to get the liquid on you or your clothing which can catch fire when the liquid starts to off gas and turn to a vapor.

I would never recommend pouring gasoline down a carburetor and stand over it while cranking the engine with the ignition switch on.I have done it in the past and I know the consequences for my actions.

My recommendation would be to use starting fluid, use short spray intervals and don't crank the engine while spraying the fluid.
Last edited by Steve Butram on Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:21 am

Excellent advice, Steve.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Extended ( more than one use/ blast ) of starting fluid is not good and risks damage to engine.
Running too hot and too dry in my opinion. Carb cleaner can work a couple times but ....fixes nothing really.
If it won't run after being primed why fight it by giving it what does not cure the problem?

Yes I have been in a hurry to move something. That does not mean correct a problem though. Tarp it if weather is a concern and return to diagnose.
Feeding volatile mix without the air system installed properly begs a backfire. Never a healing process.

Return to “Farmall Cub”