This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tires

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Re: Tires

Postby Randy Tuura » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:25 pm

Denny Clayton wrote:
Randy Tuura wrote:
Glen wrote:Hi,

Nice looking Cub Randy. :)

Stan, it has a Delco distributor, Jim B. and I helped him identify it months ago, and he bought new parts for it.

Yes! And it runs like a brand new tractor. I took the pictures with me and the distributor cap to NAPA and they fixed me right up. Plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, condenser and coil. Feels like a new tractor!

With the starter problems I'm having now, it's a pity I can't crank start it. Now I'm wishing for a 6v mag system.

All you need is the crank, Randy. You don't need a mag system to crank start it.

H'mm. I've got the crank. I tried it when I first got the tractor and couldn't get it going. Then I read somewhere - maybe here - that a distributor system would not let you crank start it. Maybe it takes a lot more effort. The cub we had when I was a kid would start with just a half turn on the crank.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm

A battery ignition system will start with a crank. The battery has to have enough power to run the ignition system.

clemk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03741
Tractors Owned: 51 cub
Fast Hitch
Cub22 mower
193 plow
L54 plow
C2 mower

1945 Ford 2N with aftermarket loader

Postby clemk » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Take a look at the video how to forum. There's a video there. Could you be missing a step? Or maybe there's something different to do with a distributor ignition
Circle of Safety If nothing else, I'm good at being the bad example or a last resort

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 pm

You can hand crank a battery ignition cub if there is sufficient voltage from the battery to do so

Jim beat me to it
Thomas

CubHunter
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45862
Tractors Owned: 1948 F Cub " Massey"
1948 H w/ McCormick 31 loader

Postby CubHunter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Jim Becker wrote:A battery ignition system will start with a crank. The battery has to have enough power to run the ignition system.

I just did on my cub on sunday. Didn't have enough voltage for both the ignition system and the starter. 2 quick pulls on the crank and she started right up.

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:36 pm

CubHunter wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:A battery ignition system will start with a crank. The battery has to have enough power to run the ignition system.

I just did on my cub on sunday. Didn't have enough voltage for both the ignition system and the starter. 2 quick pulls on the crank and she started right up.

It's a lot easier to do if the engine is in good condition and tuned up as it should be.
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Here's all it takes.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:23 am

As others have said, if she is a worker, then basically anything that holds air will work fine. I've restored many Cubs and ususally, there are mismatched tires on the tractors when I buy them. If I go through all the effort to make it look like new again, the last step for me is to typically buy a new set of matching tires. I typically go with Carlisle tires in the rear, and whatever off-brand tri-rib tire for the front. The fronts seem to be pretty standard, but I found out a few years ago that the cheapo, off brand, chinese, rear tires, just do not look right when mounted. One set I bought did not have the correct lip to seat properly on the rim, so they looked REALLY bad. Since then, I've just stuck with Carlisle tires for the rears. They're readily available and at a pretty fair price.

I've owned and restored a bunch of cubs, different years, and my personal preference is to use the 8.3 x 24 tire on all of the Cubs older than 1969. It seems to me that the square nose cubs look better with 9.5 x 24 tires on the rear. I know all of the dimensions on the tractors are the same, but the few square nose cubs I had, one with all original tires on it, looked much better with the 9.5 x 24 tires, but I think they look too big on the older Cubs, espeically the early Cubs. I've not bought any turf tires, as they're nearly double the price of Ag tires, and to me, a cub should really have Ag tires anyway (just my opinion).

On an interesting note, if you ever have a tire off of a Cub rim, take a look at the lettering stamped into the rim. Most say Goodyear or BF Goodrich, and the date of manufacture. The interesting thing is that IH outsourced the tires (obviously) and it appears that the rear tires came to the factory already mounted on the rims by the tire manufacturer. So, there is no real "correct" tire brand for the Cub, but rather several correct brands. If you're restoring one to 100% original, then you could technically check the stamp inside the rim and get the correct tires to match. This is being WAY too picky (personally) but it could be done.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 am

gitractorman wrote:On an interesting note, if you ever have a tire off of a Cub rim, take a look at the lettering stamped into the rim. Most say Goodyear or BF Goodrich, and the date of manufacture. The interesting thing is that IH outsourced the tires (obviously) and it appears that the rear tires came to the factory already mounted on the rims by the tire manufacturer. So, there is no real "correct" tire brand for the Cub, but rather several correct brands. If you're restoring one to 100% original, then you could technically check the stamp inside the rim and get the correct tires to match. This is being WAY too picky (personally) but it could be done.

Here's the rear rim off the recent project I been working on. It says "Firestone 4-47" and they were in excellent shape to be 70 years old.
Attachments
IMG_8473.JPG
IMG_8472.JPG
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 am

gitractorman wrote:On an interesting note, if you ever have a tire off of a Cub rim, take a look at the lettering stamped into the rim. Most say Goodyear or BF Goodrich, and the date of manufacture. The interesting thing is that IH outsourced the tires (obviously) and it appears that the rear tires came to the factory already mounted on the rims by the tire manufacturer. So, there is no real "correct" tire brand for the Cub, but rather several correct brands. If you're restoring one to 100% original, then you could technically check the stamp inside the rim and get the correct tires to match. This is being WAY too picky (personally) but it could be done.

I know a guy who restored a car and when he had the tires mounted on the rims he had the valve stem placed in the exact same spot on all 4 to match the writing on the tire. I think he had it in the middle of Good Year. THAT is being way to picky.

Circle of Safety

Pompiere
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43449
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1958 Cub Lo-Boy w/ Woods mower

Postby Pompiere » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am

Chipmaker wrote:

I know a guy who restored a car and when he had the tires mounted on the rims he had the valve stem placed in the exact same spot on all 4 to match the writing on the tire. I think he had it in the middle of Good Year. THAT is being way to picky.

I work on old bicycles as well as tractors. On bikes, it is normal to have the valve lined up with the label. That way, when you have a flat, you have a reference point between the tire and tube. Back when they had tubes,I was taught to mark the valve's position on a truck tire when removing it from the rim. For tubeless tires, lining up the valve to the label is just one extra detail towards making it look perfect.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:26 am

Pompiere wrote:
Chipmaker wrote:

I work on old bicycles as well as tractors. On bikes, it is normal to have the valve lined up with the label. That way, when you have a flat, you have a reference point between the tire and tube. Back when they had tubes,I was taught to mark the valve's position on a truck tire when removing it from the rim. For tubeless tires, lining up the valve to the label is just one extra detail towards making it look perfect.

As long as the tire is on the rim and stays pumped up I could care less what is lined up with what :lol:

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 am

Pompiere wrote:I work on old bicycles as well as tractors. On bikes, it is normal to have the valve lined up with the label. That way, when you have a flat, you have a reference point between the tire and tube. Back when they had tubes,I was taught to mark the valve's position on a truck tire when removing it from the rim. For tubeless tires, lining up the valve to the label is just one extra detail towards making it look perfect.

For us, marking the valve position on the sidewall was a standard part of breaking down a flat tire. That way, after you found the leak in the tube, you could track it back to whatever might still be in the tire.

At some point, wheel companies started marking the low spot of new rims. Some had an arrow stamped near the center. Some cast rims had the stem hole drilled at the low spot. Stamped rims, if not marked, were assumed to be low at the stem hole (which it usually was due to the manufacturing process). Tires were checked for the effective high spot at the factory and the spot was marked by a small paint dot. Whoever mounted the tire was supposed to line the tire dot up with the rim arrow (or stem) to minimize runout. I never once saw a tire tech line up the dot. I haven't seen a paint dot on a new tire in quite a while. I suppose they gave up since it was ignored anyway. Cast wheels run pretty true, so maybe they decided it didn't matter for most customers.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 am

Tolerances are also much tighter, and manufacturing processes are improved. Tires don't have pronounced high spots anymore and like you said, cast rims are pretty much round, but steel rims are also much rounder than they used to be as well.

alboe
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21660

Postby alboe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:45 am

Thanks guys! Nice to get back on the topic of tires.

Return to “Farmall Cub”