1" black pipe for exhaust

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 4578
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:04 pm
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: 1" black pipe for exhaust

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 am

"one-inch" black iron pipe is approximately 1.25" in diameter on the outside:

Item # Size Outside Diameter
SCH 40 Pipe-1 1 in 1.315 in

It's actually slightly smaller than that at the threads.

bofahs
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:03 pm
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Re: 1" black pipe for exhaust

Postby bofahs » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:"one-inch" black iron pipe is approximately 1.25" in diameter on the outside:

Item # Size Outside Diameter
SCH 40 Pipe-1 1 in 1.315 in

It's actually slightly smaller than that at the threads.


As I've often had to tell customers, "The only way to get a 1" dimension on a 1" pipe is to cut a piece 1" long!"

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Posts: 2622
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:51 pm
Zip Code: 63664
Location: MO, Potosi

Re: 1" black pipe for exhaust

Postby Scrivet » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:15 pm

bofahs wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:"one-inch" black iron pipe is approximately 1.25" in diameter on the outside:

Item # Size Outside Diameter
SCH 40 Pipe-1 1 in 1.315 in

It's actually slightly smaller than that at the threads.


As I've often had to tell customers, "The only way to get a 1" dimension on a 1" pipe is to cut a piece 1" long!"

All this sounds like the making of a lawsuit like the 2x4 one a few months ago. Somebody's gonna cash in! :evil:

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:17 pm
Zip Code: 44657
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Minerva,Ohio

Re: 1" black pipe for exhaust

Postby john2189 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 pm

1" NPT pipe is measured from the inside diameter Its actually is 1.049" Copper tubing is measured on the outside dimension. Im not sure about PVC how its measured
'49 cub (Lola)
'49 Cub (Vince)
'72 cub (Cecilia)
'41 allis B
'42 Allis B

bofahs
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:03 pm
Zip Code: 31522
Tractors Owned: 1965 IH Cub Lo-Boy

Re: 1" black pipe for exhaust

Postby bofahs » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:55 am

john2189 wrote:1" NPT pipe is measured from the inside diameter Its actually is 1.049" Copper tubing is measured on the outside dimension. Im not sure about PVC how its measured


Yep, but actually, 1" pipe (all pipe) is measured by Outside Diameter; only at 14" and above does the nominal size become the actual OD.

1" pipe was traditionally 1-5/16 OD - they've truncated the decimal to list it as 1.315, but that's why. Yes, Schedule 40 1" pipe has an ID of 1.049, but schedules 5, 10, and 20 (if you can find 20!) have larger IDs than that. Schedules 80, 160, etc, have smaller IDs - the ID of sch 80 1" pipe is just UNDER 1 inch!

PVC Pipe is essentially the same, PVC tube is not.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Farmall Cub”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adajen, john2189 and 6 guests