'53 Cub Rescue

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k hutchins
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 48843
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
193 plow
1948 snow/grading blade
Woods 59 C3
Cub 144 cultivator
Cub 22 mower
Cub 172 one row planter
Original manuals for all the above

Re: '53 Cub Rescue

Postby k hutchins » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Don't forget to scrape a little paint on the Mount of the starter so you get good contact/ground when it's remounted.
Why is there never enough time to do the job right, but always enough time to do it over. :?:

xraycajun
Zip Code: 70769

Postby xraycajun » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks for the advice, I did sand the starter's contact surface. I didn't realize harvester turned the bands down... I will definitely do the same. I'm glad you feel the brushes are good... one less thing, right? The bushings are loose, though. The end bearing is also running rough. I'll be replacing those.

xraycajun

Postby xraycajun » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:49 pm

Update:

Thank you guys so much for helping me with my starter woes in the "Rebuilt Starter Fail" thread. The cub engine turns over and has hot fire to boot. I tried to start it with a pony tank Friday, but with little luck. A flooded carb sent me back to the workbench.

When I rebuilt the carb, the float pivot pin stuck in place. I was afraid to break the mounting ears while attempting to tap it out (I tapped it hard with a hammer and punch... didn't budge.) so I decided to spray the needle and seat thoroughly with carb cleaner and take my chances. Looks like I will have to figure out a way to remove that pin and change the needle and seat after all.

I will double check the float level and drop.... thought I had it but should look again.

I never attempted to straighten the carb top. I'm afraid to break that, too. The thing ran well with a warped card top the entirety of my childhood. Is it that crucial? Has anyone tried PTFE on both sides of the gasket?

Anyway, I hope to try to start it up again after tending to these items.

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Glen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi,
I think I saw an IH carburetor where the float pin would only come out one direction. Trying to move it the other way, it was tight. Maybe you have that, if you only tried to move it one direction. :)

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Does the carb flood before or after attempting to start? A fuel shutoff valve on your pony tank will allow you to manage the fuel flow after you get the carb filled and trying to start the engine. If the carb bowl is full, the engine will run for a few minutes with the fuel flow turned off. Once the engine is running you can control the fuel flow to some degree with the valve.

xraycajun

Postby xraycajun » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 pm

The pony tank is an boat gas tank (4-stroke-no oil in it) that I sit on the tractor seat. I start the fuel flow via the primer bulb just as I do with the boat. I think I remember the carb holding up OK until I attempted to start..... then gas dripping, spitting back out the intake, and leaking out of the carb-to-manifold gasket. The tractor makes about three putts at a time followed by some light blue smoke puffs.... just doesn't catch. I double checked my valve adjustments... right on the money. spark is hot and on time.... firing order correct. I believe the carb is the weakest link in the chain here.... I need to go through it again.

xraycajun

Postby xraycajun » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks to the help of so many on this forum, another hibernating cub has awoken! My great grandfather's '53 (53' Cub Rescue) is running for the first time in fifteen years. After what seemed like a hundred puts and almost-starts, she finally caught... and spewed out a thick blue smoke. After a few minutes, that smoke burned off and she settled into a nice smooth idle. I took a ride around the yard and was pleased to see that 1st, 2nd, and reverse worked well along with the clutch and brakes. Thanks again for all of your collective advice!

lliberto
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26062
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
1952 Farmall Cub
2011 Husqvarna YTH24V42LS

Postby lliberto » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:09 pm

Great project and even better back story. Can't wait to see how you progress.